Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Alright so this is an issue we ran into using the Polycom VVX - 401 Phones.

Here is what would happen we had our initial FTP server setup as 5.8.0.13851 firmware.

After inital provisioning when the user would sign into the phone it would prompt them to update.  This is where the problem was the update from the Polycom Server would install version 5.8.0.12xxx.

5.8.0.12xxx

5.8.0.12xxx is not an available version you can download for an FTP server is it slightly behind the lowest Stable build of 5.8.0.13851.  So when the phones would try to reboot and search for the files matching 5.8.0.12848 you could see in the boot log that they could not find the files, because they were looking for an older version than the FTP server had.

Also it did not matter what version the phone was on 5.8.0.13851 - 5.9.1.xxxxx it would always update is the user chose to update down to 5.8.0.12xxx.  After this point anytime that phone would be rebooted it would go into that Downloading Core 1 of 1 loop which I'm sure some people are familar with.

The fix to this issue and to stop the Core loop crash is to make it so phones do not seek updates from the Polycom server.

IF YOU ARE STUCK IN Core 1 of 1 download loop.  The only fix is to factory reset the phone using the keypad (factory reset option).  This might help you save a few phones that seem stuck in Limbo.

FIX:

This will force the phone to use the provided FTP server and it will not communicate with the Polycom FTP server.

Add these two lines to an exisiting .cfg file (Do not enter line 1 or line 2 they are for reference it can be anywhere in an exsisting cfg file as its own entry.)

line 1 

<DeviceUpdate device.set="1" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateEnabled.set="1" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateEnabled="0" lync.provisionDeviceParams.enabled=”0”>

line 2 </DeviceUpdate>

Or create a .cfg file with the following single line entry. (The change is the / before the final >)

<DeviceUpdate device.set="1" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateEnabled.set="1" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateEnabled="0" lync.provisionDeviceParams.enabled=”0”/>
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @LRose ,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

We ave already detailed this fact here:

Feb 02, 2016 Question:How can I prevent a Polycom VVX Business Media Phone to be downgraded / upgraded automatically via Skype for Business and/or Office365?

Resolution:For LYNC please download, unpack and import the attached LyncProvisionDeviceParams. For Skype for Business Online / O365 please set the EnableDeviceUpdate to false as explained => here <=

Pleae ensure to post in the right section as providing us with details to your server ensure it is posted in the right section and allows you to verify already known facts.

If your phone is uploading a core dump:

Feb 16, 2016 Question:What is / are the core.tgz file on a provisioning server ?

Resolution: A core dump is uploaded by the phone if a phone crashed for some reason. Please provide these to Polycom support for further analysis.

Please ensure your work with our support team so we can analyze these.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Both of your solutions are correct but users/admin might not realize that the firmware download is the issue.  What people seem familiar with is downloading core 1 of 1 repeat which I have seen multiple articles on.  So I posted our solution to the issue when we found what it was.

HP Recommended

Hello @LRose ,

you did not supply the full firmware details so I cannot comment but I assume you are mentioning a Microsoft hosted Firmware. 

Not knowing these full details makes it difficult to comment on a post.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.