Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

[FAQ] Changing the comfort noise on a Polycom VVX Business Media Phone

Polycom Employee & Community Manager

[FAQ] Changing the comfort noise on a Polycom VVX Business Media Phone

In certain situations or scenarios it may be preferable to change the factory default of comfort noise utilizing a Microsoft Lync or Skype for Business Server.

UC Software 5.4.2 or later added the below.

Parameter Recommendation

Parameter Range

Default Value

Result

voice.cn.hs.enable="1"                

0 or 1

Enables the in-band comfort noise fill

voice.cn.hs.attn="35"               

90 to -90

Sets the in-band comfort noise attenuation (lower numbers are louder, we suggest no lower / louder than 35)

voice.vadEnable="0"                     

0 or 1

Disables VAD Tx – VAD Rx CNG packets will still be properly received to synthesize local comfort noise

voice.vadRxGain="10"         

20 to -20

Boosts the VAD CNG synthesis level by 10 dB – subjectively matches the customer site RTP capture

voice.vadTxGain="-10"                 

20 to -20

Reduces the VAD CNG packet payload value by 10 dB – effectively prevents the synthesis boost in voice.vadRxGain from changing the level in a VVX to VVX call

voice.vadRxGain == -voice.vadTxGain

Restores default behavior

G.722 calls, vadTxGain and vadRxGain have no effect (expected)

voice.plcCnEnable="1"

0 or 1

Enables local comfort noise generation when far end stops sending RTP and no CN packet is sent

voice.plcCnGain="0"

20 to -20

Changes the loudness of local comfort noise generation when voice.plcCnEnable is set to 1

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.