Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

MACADDRESS-cutom.cfg is read and applied by all phones not just the targeted MAC

SOLVED
Highlighted
Advisor

MACADDRESS-cutom.cfg is read and applied by all phones not just the targeted MAC

Phones: VVX501 (Skype for Business) (BToE)

UC Version: 5.9.0.9373

Provisioning distribution: FTP server

I have a strange problem where phones do apply a config file which is not destined for their MAC address.

Scenario: The 000000000000.cfg has 3 references to config files. The lines look like:

CONFIG_FILES: shared.cfg, 12345678ABCD-custom.cfg, 12345678ABCE-custom.cfg

The Shared.cfg has some general config for background pics and so on for ALL phones.

The 2X MACADDRESS-custom.cfg files have a soft button config line just targeting 2 handsets.

However all handsets in the network are reading the MACADDRESS-custom.cfg and are applying this soft key, not only the 2 phones which MAC ADDRESS has been specified in the config files.

I am wondering if this is a bug as my understanding is that phones are not supposed to apply configuration files which are named "MACADDRESS-something.cfg"

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: MACADDRESS-cutom.cfg is read and applied by all phones not just the targeted MAC

Hello @Sebastian1 ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

Please ensure you always check the FAQ's and/or utilize the community search before posting any new topics or follow up posts.

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Can I use substitutions when I provisioning my Phones?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above and the Admin Guide clearly explains that you need to use the placeholder aka the substitution string [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]  and not actually just name a file with the Mac of a specific phone.

You logic using substitution will not work as if used correctly every phone will try and load its own Mac-cutom.cfg file and if it cannot find this will not apply any configuration.

You got three options:

• Create your own mac.cfg file for the phones using the [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS] logic and create the config files for each phone
    or
  • Create "empty" cfg files using the correct XML structure and use the real config for all phones to utilize the configuration you want
    or
  • Jan 04, 2019 Question: Where can I find details on Poly Provisioning Servers?

Resolution: Polycom has separate Solutions for either on Premise Polycom ResourceManager RPRM or a Cloud Solution called PDMS-E and additional details can be found => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 2 of 6
Advisor

Re: MACADDRESS-cutom.cfg is read and applied by all phones not just the targeted MAC

Thank you for the quick reply.

One more question if you don't mind.

Changing the 00000000000.cfg to look like:

Config Files: [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-custom.cfg,shared.cfg

Would this mean all phones would boot the shared.cfg and only phones who can find a [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-custom.cfg (with their correct mac) would boot this and if the [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-custom.cfg does not exists for a specific phone they will just ignore this?

Reason for asking, I have just trialled this on a phone where the [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-custom.cfg does not exist for and this phone complained about "config file missing" after a file system format.

So I am assuming all phones require a [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-custom.cfg created for them or all phones which cannot find this file will complain that the config file is missing?

Thank You

Message 3 of 6

@SteffenBaierUK wrote:

Hello @Sebastian1 ,

You logic using substitution will not work as if used correctly every phone will try and load its own Mac-cutom.cfg file and if it cannot find this will not apply any configuration.

Hi @Sebastian1 

I already applied to the above question. If a phone cannot find a single individual file out of whoever many it will not apply any of the configurations. This is a failsafe mechanism to prevent troubleshooting issues. Either all is loaded or nothing.

Using PDMS-E or a local RPRM does not have this issue as files are created based on individual phones.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 4 of 6
Advisor

Hi Steffen,

Thank you once again for the quick reply.

I have created individual MACADDRESS.cfg for the 2 phones in question, as I believe for a small environment this is probably the best way.

I also contacted our reseller to get some pricing on RPRM.

Maybe it is the way to go for better management.

Thanks and kind regards

Message 5 of 6

Hello @Sebastian1 ,

PDMS-E, our Cloud solution, is I believe around 4€ per device per year.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Message 6 of 6