Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Phones: VVX501 (Skype for Business) (BToE)

UC Version: 5.9.0.9373

Provisioning distribution: FTP server

I have a strange problem where phones do apply a config file which is not destined for their MAC address.

Scenario: The 000000000000.cfg has 3 references to config files. The lines look like:

CONFIG_FILES: shared.cfg, 12345678ABCD-custom.cfg, 12345678ABCE-custom.cfg

The Shared.cfg has some general config for background pics and so on for ALL phones.

The 2X MACADDRESS-custom.cfg files have a soft button config line just targeting 2 handsets.

However all handsets in the network are reading the MACADDRESS-custom.cfg and are applying this soft key, not only the 2 phones which MAC ADDRESS has been specified in the config files.

I am wondering if this is a bug as my understanding is that phones are not supposed to apply configuration files which are named "MACADDRESS-something.cfg"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Sebastian1 ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

Please ensure you always check the FAQ's and/or utilize the community search before posting any new topics or follow up posts.

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Can I use substitutions when I provisioning my Phones?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above and the Admin Guide clearly explains that you need to use the placeholder aka the substitution string [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]  and not actually just name a file with the Mac of a specific phone.

You logic using substitution will not work as if used correctly every phone will try and load its own Mac-cutom.cfg file and if it cannot find this will not apply any configuration.

You got three options:

• Create your own mac.cfg file for the phones using the [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS] logic and create the config files for each phone
    or
  • Create "empty" cfg files using the correct XML structure and use the real config for all phones to utilize the configuration you want
    or
  • Jan 04, 2019 Question: Where can I find details on Poly Provisioning Servers?

Resolution: Polycom has separate Solutions for either on Premise Polycom ResourceManager RPRM or a Cloud Solution called PDMS-E and additional details can be found => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @Sebastian1 ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

Please ensure you always check the FAQ's and/or utilize the community search before posting any new topics or follow up posts.

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Can I use substitutions when I provisioning my Phones?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above and the Admin Guide clearly explains that you need to use the placeholder aka the substitution string [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]  and not actually just name a file with the Mac of a specific phone.

You logic using substitution will not work as if used correctly every phone will try and load its own Mac-cutom.cfg file and if it cannot find this will not apply any configuration.

You got three options:

• Create your own mac.cfg file for the phones using the [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS] logic and create the config files for each phone
    or
  • Create "empty" cfg files using the correct XML structure and use the real config for all phones to utilize the configuration you want
    or
  • Jan 04, 2019 Question: Where can I find details on Poly Provisioning Servers?

Resolution: Polycom has separate Solutions for either on Premise Polycom ResourceManager RPRM or a Cloud Solution called PDMS-E and additional details can be found => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick reply.

One more question if you don't mind.

Changing the 00000000000.cfg to look like:

Config Files: [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-custom.cfg,shared.cfg

Would this mean all phones would boot the shared.cfg and only phones who can find a [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-custom.cfg (with their correct mac) would boot this and if the [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-custom.cfg does not exists for a specific phone they will just ignore this?

Reason for asking, I have just trialled this on a phone where the [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-custom.cfg does not exist for and this phone complained about "config file missing" after a file system format.

So I am assuming all phones require a [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-custom.cfg created for them or all phones which cannot find this file will complain that the config file is missing?

Thank You

HP Recommended

@SteffenBaierUK wrote:

Hello @Sebastian1 ,

Hi @Sebastian1 

I already replied on the above question. If a phone cannot find a single individual file out of whoever many it will not apply any of the configurations. This is a failsafe mechanism to prevent troubleshooting issues. Either all is loaded or nothing.

Using PDMS-E or a local RPRM does not have this issue as files are created based on individual phones.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Thank you once again for the quick reply.

I have created individual MACADDRESS.cfg for the 2 phones in question, as I believe for a small environment this is probably the best way.

I also contacted our reseller to get some pricing on RPRM.

Maybe it is the way to go for better management.

Thanks and kind regards

HP Recommended

Hello @Sebastian1 ,

PDMS-E, our Cloud solution, is I believe around 4€ per device per year.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

What Polycom failed to tell you was to go into the phone's "advanced" "admin settings" and "reset to defaults" the "web data" and possibly the "local data".   When I did this, the phones complied and life is good again.  I struggled as well on this.  You can keep your [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-whatever.cfg in the 000000000000.cfg the way you intended.

Bill

HP Recommended

Hello @WLD_Bill ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

You are correct in your reply as this would have been the completely incorrect answer to give to the user.

@Sebastian1  struggled with files being loaded via the Master Configuration file and our reply helped him to fix his error.

Your reply simply clears ay potential provisioning server and the phone can no longer load any configuration.

In order to assist you I suggest you start reading:

Jan 18, 2013 QuestionWhat does the message "Configuration Error Missing files, config reverted" mean?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Oct 7, 2011 Question: What is the relevance of the 000000000000.cfg or <mac>.cfg?

Oct 10, 2012 Question: I get the error Message "error loading 0004fxxxxxxx.cfg"  or "could not 6xxxxxxxxxxx.cfg" and then Phone continues to reboot

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.