Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Microsoft Identity Platform 2.0 / OAuth 2.0 and VVX 411

Occasional Contributor

Microsoft Identity Platform 2.0 / OAuth 2.0 and VVX 411

Hello. Today we got an email from Microsoft detailing how Microsoft Identity Platform 2.0 is being implemented July 1st, and as such this will impact Skype for Business IP Phones. We currently use VVX 411 phones and Skype for Business Online (no hybrid or onsite servers). I think they are on either 5.8 or 5.9 UC. Below is the email from Microsoft. So, my question is, are these phones ready on those versions or will I need a newer version?

"To provide our customers with best-in-class security across our services, Microsoft is implementing the use of Microsoft Identity Platform 2.0 (an evolution of the Azure Active Directory identity service) which uses the OAuth 2.0 authorization protocol. OAuth 2.0 is a method through which a third-party app can access web-hosted resources on behalf of a user, through a third-party application ID.

[How does this impact me?]

As result of this change, Skype for Business IP Phone partners have made a code change to use partner specific application ID. When deployed, the customer tenant admin will be required to confirm consent to allow the third-party phone application to be granted the necessary permissions (the same permissions currently being used by Skype for Business IP Phones).

[What should I do to prepare for this change?]

All certified Skype for Business IP phones must be updated by July 1st, 2019. Without the update, successful authentication to Microsoft services on IP Phones will fail. Customers are encouraged to work with their certified Skype for Business IP Phone provider to make the update before the deadline."

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Microsoft Identity Platform 2.0 / OAuth 2.0 and VVX 411

Hello @critz ,

welcome to the Poly Community.

Please see the post => here <=. The timelines are always subject to change.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 2 of 3
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Microsoft Identity Platform 2.0 / OAuth 2.0 and VVX 411

Hello all,

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Skype-for-Business-Blog/OAuth-2-0-and-third-party-application...

All certified Skype for Business IP phones must be updated by January 15, 2020.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

<======== Signature / Disclaimer ========>
Please be aware:For questions about the type of support to expect please check here

Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is an automatic setting within the community and any forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Poly employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and maybe answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 3 of 3