Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I've got 80 users all using SfB Online. Knowing that I have to get Teams up and running before the axe falls on SfB Online, I pre-ordered a CCX 500 to see what the voice side of Teams is like. Yesterday I unplugged my trusty VVX 500, converted my account type from Islands to Teams-Only, and switched to my new phone.

The phone booted up to Teams, but then would not let me sign in. I poked in the settings and found that had not picked up the proper VLAN assignment. I guess that CCX phones will need a different or additional setting in DHCP than VVX did.

After setting the VLAN, I was able to sign into Teams. I was also obliged to enroll the phone in InTune because it's an Android device. I subsequently found this blog post and will make the necessary adjustment to my MDM policies so I don't have to do that for every new phone.

I was able to receive calls from both inside and outside my company. I was also able to continue using my Logitech wireless headset that I had previously used with my VVX phone. When it came to placing calls, though, I made the following discoveries:

1. The lack of BToE means I have to place calls from the tiny screen of the CCX instead of my computer's Teams client. If I "\call Eugenio" from my desktop Teams client, it uses my computer's speaker and microphone. There's no way to tell Teams about the CCX on my desk. I understand that BToE (or BlueTooth, or USB) is a Q2 2020 feature. 
  2. The CCX 500's tiny screen is made much more usable by going into Phone Settings | Accessibility and changing the text size from default to Medium. 
  3. Getting a dial pad to appear on screen requires two precision touchscreen taps. My 71-year-old CEO, who prefers a phone to e-mail, will never find this acceptable. I have to hold out hope for a different model to evolve for this market segment.
  4. My custom dial plan in SfB, which allowed four-digit extension dialing, did not carry over to Teams. This page suggests that Teams dial plans are just like SfB dial plans, but the instructions to go to Voice | Dial Plan did not match my actual Teams Admin Center, which does not have any Dial Plan menu under Voice. I'll have to open a ticket with O365 support for that and see what happens.

I'm curious to learn about other people's experiences, and hear any advice you might have.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi JoeNaxion, thanks for sharing your experience. I've requested a CCX 500 demo unit from our vendor, so this information will be helpful. 

Just to make sure you're aware, while SfBO will be retired on July 31, 2021, support for 3PIP phones (like the VVX 500) will continue until July 31, 2023 (per this post on the Microsoft Teams Blog). That being said, there are some major functional limitations. For example, I discovered that when you attempt to turn on Call Forwarding from a 3PIP phone when the user is in Teams Only mode, it appears to succeed but calls aren't actually forwarded. Call Forwarding can only be configured through the Teams client.

Like you, I'm not seeing the Voice > Dial Plan option on the Teams Admin Center. I had a look on the Microsoft 365 Roadmap page and it looks like Dial Plans for Teams is part of a Microsoft Teams - Phone System Administration Enhancements feature that is rolling out this month.

HP Recommended

I notice that, unlike the windows client, the call tab on the CCX does not display favorites or speeddials, (and their status).  Likewise It does not seem to display an assistant's 'covered' lines as favorites as is done on the VVX with SfB.   

HP Recommended

Looks like contacts/speed dial should be coming this quarter. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/what-s-new-on-microsoft-teams-phones-ign...

Strange that it sounds like a sure thing on that blog post, but I don't actually see anything about it on the official Teams roadmap.

HP Recommended

Hi, CCX 500 / Teams user here. Our provider had to enable four-digit extension dialing for us and it's also managed by them, we don't have the means to do that (even in the Teams Admin portal).

Poly/Microsoft really need to work together and update the Teams client, it's pretty barebones right now. 

HP Recommended

Hello @Manu_C 

we, just like any other adopter of the Teams IP Phone hardware, can only rely on our Partner Microsoft to make the relevant changes or enhancements.

We have no real control over this and also no real influence. Apple or Android device manufacturers are in the same boat as they use a similar/same application.

Only the users can work with Microsoft on this.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks Steffen. Not criticising your reply, but if we need to rely on Microsoft listening to its users instead of them paying more attention to their corporate partners... we are in for a wild ride.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello @Manu_C 

Poly, just like any other competitor offering Teams IP Phones, relies on our partner Microsoft to define the exact hardware specifications which they will certify to work with Teams. 

Microsoft supplies the Teams IP Phone client and therefore it is fully up to them to define what is included in this and any further development needs to come from our partner Microsoft.

Just because we manufacture the hardware does not automatically mean we have a huge influence on features Microsoft adds or releases.

I can only assume you would not force Apple or any Android Device manufacturer to do the same just because they host the Teams Software in their App store?

The greatest power has the users actually using the software running on our hardware. Their feedback to Microsoft alone can shape what development will be done.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen, I know that's up to Microsoft to update and add more features - not complaining about Poly. But Microsoft is not precisely famous for listening to their users, just stating a known fact.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello @Manu_C 

I am just trying to make the fact clear that you are overestimating the power you assume we have to push our Partner Microsoft.

There is no real point complaining here but your feedback is appreciated.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.