Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello all!

Our organization recently installed our first (brand new) CX5100 system in a conference room. Picture and sound works fine, however the fan in the power data box starts spinning almost immediately after powering up, and reaches quite high levels - to the point where it is very distracting when making a call. It even starts spinning when the unit is idle. The power data box gets quite warm, when used, so I suspect there are some cooling issues with the box.

Is it normal for the fan to spin much, when the system is in use? Since the connection cable between the camera and power data box is fairly short, it's not an option to "hide" the box in a cabinet of some sorts - it has to be placed somewhere near/under the conference table. Could there be some fault with my my system?

Kind regards

Henning

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Henning,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Any chance for a quick video so we can "hear" how loud this sounds.

In my lab the CX5500 is not super quiet either but not to loud either.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello Steffen!

Thank you for your reply and I'm sorry about the (very) late reply on my end... We've redone our conference rooms, so this wasn't an issue for us for a while, simply because the unit wasn't used.

However, now we would like to continue using the CX5100, and I still think it's too loud for our use. I tried making a video of the noise the fan in the data box makes, but unfortunately it was hard capturing exactly how it sounds. I would describe it as a fairly loud laptop fan - the fan spins up and down fairly often and it's quite loud at times, "typical" fan sound. This has never been an issue with the older CX5000 systems we use.

This probably wouldn't be a big issue if the data box could be stowed away in a cabinet (with the rest of the A/V system and the computer the Polycom system is connected to), but the fairly short video cable between the camera and data box makes that impossible. Is it possible to purchase a longer video cable or in some other way make it possible to have the data box further away from the camera?

Thanks again for your help, and I hope you see this message despite my very late reply.

Best Regards

Henning Gulli

HP Recommended

Hello Henning Gulli,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

The unit is now at least 6 months older so if this was a day one issue or happened fairly soon after installing the device you could have probably asked for an RMA.

Not knowing the serial number of the device and any of its history I am not sure what to tell you. Most certainly there are no other cables available and the warranty, if it still has any, would expire the moment you open the device.

I can only suggest to work with your Polycom reseller on this as the manufacturers warranty (1 year) may be different to the sellers warranty in the country you purchased the device.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, Steffen!

I realize the unit isn't new anymore, and that's why I was hoping there would perhaps be a longer video cable available for purchase, so we could put the data box in a cabinet with the PC it's attached to. I find the relatively short video cable to be a bit of an issue to be honest, as it isn't really desirable to have the data box on or underneath the conferece table in our meeting room, when all other technical equipment (PC, sound etc) is in a cabinet at the end of the room.

Kind regards

Henning

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.