Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello Steffen Baier,

Re-opened the ticket and will work with support.

Thanks.

Myat Min

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I want to start this thread again. Now system is boot looping and unable to start up.

When I power on the unit, see the polycom logo on screen awhile and blank screen (in this period, seen to be power off itself because I don't hear anything from base box), then boot looping again. I have tried new cables, but still no luck.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue for several years. By now I have 6 units with LCD screen that has "no touch". I assume that this was some kind of design flaw in the original model that was addressed later on.

Is there any way to buy 6 of those LCD screens assmblies in order to replace them? It is too bad to have 6 units with LCD screen not working. Hopefully Polycom can do something about this, for example free recall program to acknowledge this issue.

HP Recommended

Hello @alexg,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

I have seen your reply to the other post and as far as I am aware there is no issue.

Only 3 people, 2 in this and 1 in the other post => here <= posted an issue.

The other post reported false touch and this post had 2 hardware failures.

What are the serial numbers for your units?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Yes, long time no talk. Well, here is the point: "as far as you are aware". Please note that if you ask United Nations or even Trump directly, they not even aware of one case. But this does not mean that the issue is not there.

What I was trying to say (not sure if you understand this or not) is that this issue is time bomb and fundamental design (or engineeding/manufacture) flaw in those LCD touch screen. They do die often. If you work in Polycom and heard about this 2-3 times, and I dealt with 10-15 systems and have 6 of them dead, only tells me that up to half of them (which is thousands of units) might be affected.

The real problem here is that once warranty 1 year expires, nobody bother to pay lots of $$ to repair. They just got rid of them and buy new. Because after all, those are not for real people like me and you. Those are for big companies and government, and they have no issue with money. At least not with the amount of money to replace this system.

The problem is with the smaller companies, for those extra $5,000 expence is serious investment. And once they get burned on this issue, they just never buy it again. This is what is happening in real world, and it is too bad that you are not aware of this.

I work with many clients and I see those issues every day. This issue (LCD screen no touch or touch itself) happens all the time. All those last 2-3 years. Lots of time. All the time. Too bad that you are not aware. This is why I said that this should be a recall case. And not charge each customer $500 + parts which is at least unfair (knowing that this was bad design or engineering).

But that's OK. Don't worry. We can pretend this is only 2-3 cases and keep going from there. Life is good!

Thanks!

P.S. In case you did not know, 99.5% of the problems with CX5000 caused by fundamental flaw in the power supply (cost $5) inside Power Data Box, and thousands (if not millions) of units were affected. People wasted $4,000 on $5 power supply problem in the power data box! I hope you know what I mean! If you don't - no worries! Life will go on!

HP Recommended

Hello @alexg,

A couple of things:

• This community has a world wide audience but so far to my own personal knowledge only 2 people have reported such issue.

• In my own role as a Tier 3 Engineer (I do attend the community in my own personal time) I look after the EMEA Region. Within this region there is one of the largest customers using CX5100 / CX5500 so yet again I would know if this is a wide spread issue.

By local law we would require to act on this information if this is as widespread as you explain but again in my own personal experience I am not aware of this.

I did ask you to provide me with the serials of the unit so I could follow this up internally and check if you are the original owner of these but you did not post this information.

Regarding the CX5000 this was originally not a Polycom product and developed by our partner Microsoft originally called Roundtable. Again I am not aware of any widespread issues with Power supplies on this either or a recall.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Well, this is exactly what I said: if you only aware of 2-3 cases and you cover world scope, and I have 6 units with broken (mulfunctioning) screens and I only cover myself, then we have some issue with the definitions of the scopes. But that's fine. If you read my explanation why you only have 2-3 cases while thousdands of units are broken, you will understand better (just read again my previous note).

Regarding the serial number. Here we have another issue: camera unit does not have serial number. It comes from the main coded (a.k.a. Android computer), but those were re-used and repurposed in the past, because there is nothing wrong with them. When other codecs failed (does it surprise you that CX5500 and CX5100 codecs may fail?) then those can be re-used. There is no tight coupling between codec and camera unit, so when you have one codec failed in one set, and camera unit failed in another set, guess what? You can take remaining good codec from second set and good camera unit from the first set, and re-use them together making a good set.

And just to completely surprise you, even Millennium cable may fail. Yes, cable! You can think: wait a second, there is no chips, no transistors, no capacitors, no diodes inside the cable, just a wires! That's right! Wires can fail. I had this case also. Luckily when I contacted Polycom they were able to replace for free because apparently there is some type of policy that says that cable can be replaced for free. I was happy because this cable cost is $300 USD!

Going back to bad screens. If you really want, and if this can really help, I can send you all 6 bad screens for further investigation. Five of them have "no touch" issue and one has "touching itself" issue. It would be nice if I can get 2 working LCD screens in return though. As I have 2 units that is really currently used as CX5100 (i.e. USB only) since you cannot do anything on the screen.

So if something like this would be possible (exchange 6 perfectly non-working LCD screens with 2 working LCD screens) I would take this deal all day long. If not - as I said, don't worry, life is good, and we are still friends!

🙂

HP Recommended

Hello @alexg,

I believe you are misunderstanding me or my reply.

I would be aware if there are thousands of units not working as most likely I would have to deal with it.

Within this community only two people reported the LDC screen as not working.

If we only sold 1000 units and at the reported rate of 2 within the community it would be 0,002%

Again the camera and the CX box itself should have different serial numbers usually starting with 82 but as you so far have failed to provide this information and in addition add details if you are the original owner of these or somehow have purchased these from Internet Platforms I will be unable to help you. 

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Steffen,

Well, if I misunderstand your reply, then how you can explain the situation that you (with worldwide coverage) only have 2 cases, and I have in hand 6 units with mulfunctioning LCD screens. So it looks like I should be a good source of the QA for your engineering department who hopefully wants to know what could be wrong with their product so they can improve it.

Serial numbers I did not fail to provide, you just need to give me a little bit time to take them. I do not carry 6 CX5500 camera units in my pocket with me all the time. So here are the numbers (also attach is the actual picture as proof that those units are real and not that serial numbers randomly generated by keystroke generator):

Serial Number             Manufactured
-------------------------------------------------
8215270042E7DB       2015-06-29
821420000E38DB       2014-05-14
82142600149BDB       2014-06-26
821606006714DB       2016-02-05
821607006826DB       2016-02-10
821524003DA1DB      2015-06-10

Regarding the ownership. Not sure what you mean by original owner but I assume somebody who bought those units for $6,000 in the first place. In this case yes, I'm not the original owner. But I'm the rightful owner as I bought them. I did not steal them. I paid my own money for them. But this does not change anything - those units stopped working properly because manufacturing defect that is either design or engineering flaw.

Tell me: how you can take and make many CX5500 LCD screens not accepting touch? Correct! You cannot! But if there is a defect, then it will happen by itself. This is what happened.

So really what I would like to know if it would be possible to pay and get a replacement screens. Yes, I'm ready to pay for them. Would be interested to get a price estimate for 3 screens if possible.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello @alexg,

Just to explain for the lack of replies but I am following this up internally.

To be honest I struggle to find any record of the units serials that you provided so far so it would be of interest where or how and under what circumstances you acquired these.

Do you have by any chance the Serial Numbers of the base units these cameras came originally from ?

In addition, when I checked this with Product Management, we are not aware of any wide spread touch screen issues so you must be extremely unlucky purchasing these units from a yet unknown source which most or all seem to fail with the same issue.

I will keep you and all others updated.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.