Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello there!

We've started to use about 15 Polycom VVX 201 phones. When we started to configure them, we've seen lots of unwanted traffic that is beeing dropped by our firewall (See attachement). It is trying to connect to a american server:

ec2-54-86-39-219.compute-1.amazonaws.com

Does anybody know what the phone is trying to achieve? Is there a way to turn this off?

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @cedricv,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The community's VoIP FAQ now contains this post here:

Apr 30, 2018 Question: Why do I see traffic from my Polycom device towards the Amazon Cloud and other locations?

Resolution: Polycom Software updates are hosted on the Amazon cloud. In addition ensure you do not have the Settings > Polycom Labs activated.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer

The option is disabled by default. But there is still going a lot of traffic from this device. We can't put them in our network if they try to connect to these servers every five seconds. This would slow down our network.

Is there another option to prevent this?

Regards

Cédric

HP Recommended

Hello @cedricv,

It is always useful to include the currently used UC Software version as issues experienced or a question asked may already be addressed in a newer release.

Please also include if you are using a SIP server or a LYNC / Skype for Business server.

This also allows yourself and others to check against current software release notes, Administrator Guides or FAQ post’s.

The above is also stated in the "Must Read First" and is the absolute minimum requirement every new post should include. .

In addition providing us with this basic information gives Polycom an idea what Software Versions are used in the field and avoids wasting time trying to troubleshoot issues which have already been addressed.

Therefore the Polycom VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Question: How can I find out my SIP or UC Software Version of my Phone?
Resolution: Please check here

Not knowing you you have set Utilities > Software Upgrade to the Polycom hosted server the phone would not out of the box try the Amazon Cloud.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Here's the informations you wanted:

UC Software Version:

SIP Server:

The phones are connecting to a Skype for business server.

Polycom Labs:

The option to send diagnostic data is deactivated by default. But there is still lots of traffic going on. Specifivally when I'm connecting to our internal Skype for Business server.

Configuration:

All of the configuration was done individually with web configuration.

I hope this is the information you needed.

Regards

Cédric

HP Recommended

@SteffenBaierUK wrote:

Hello @cedricv,

Not knowing you you have set Utilities > Software Upgrade to the Polycom hosted server the phone would not out of the box try the Amazon Cloud.

Please provide a Backup

HP Recommended

Here's the backup

Regards

Cédric

HP Recommended

Hello @cedricv,

I cannot spot anyting that would cause this so I suggest you upgrade to a currently supported version like UC SOftware 5.7.1 or UC Software 5.6.2 and if you still have issues open a Ticket with ALSO Schweiz AG who sold the phone back in 15/09/2017

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.