Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We would like to replace our VVX Skype for Business phones with CCX 500 native Teams devices. We do a lot of chatting and screen sharing on our computers via the Teams desktop app. If we move to native Teams phones and initiate a Teams call from the phones between two or more parties all using the phones, will we still be able to chat and screen share from our computers? In other words, we want the phone for the voice call only but want to use our computers for chat and screen sharing. My concern is that chat messages and sharing will be directed to the phones that initiated the call and not the computers. I just want to make sure we can use the phones and desktop Teams app at the same time with parties on a call.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No, the Teams IP phone client does not support chat. The CCX 400/500/600 models are also audio-only so neither video nor or screen sharing modalities are supported on the phones.

But, if the user signed into a CCX phone is also signed into a Teams desktop client then any chat messages or screen sharing sessions would automatically go to that client even if they are in an active phone call using the CCX.

Later this year Microsoft will provide a 'Better Together' experience where the Teams client can drive the phone and allow it to be use for audio when the primary client is in a meeting with video, screen sharing, and chat.  But either way the phone will only handle audio.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

No, the Teams IP phone client does not support chat. The CCX 400/500/600 models are also audio-only so neither video nor or screen sharing modalities are supported on the phones.

But, if the user signed into a CCX phone is also signed into a Teams desktop client then any chat messages or screen sharing sessions would automatically go to that client even if they are in an active phone call using the CCX.

Later this year Microsoft will provide a 'Better Together' experience where the Teams client can drive the phone and allow it to be use for audio when the primary client is in a meeting with video, screen sharing, and chat.  But either way the phone will only handle audio.

HP Recommended

Thanks you for the reply. You answered my question perfectly.

HP Recommended

"But, if the user signed into a CCX phone is also signed into a Teams desktop client then any chat messages or screen sharing sessions would automatically go to that client even if they are in an active phone call using the CCX"

Just go our first CCX device for testing and I just tried the above, I have Windows 10 with Teams along with a CCX 500 phone.  My colleague has Windows 10 and the Teams client, and a headset.  I was talking to him via the CCX and he tried to share screens with me, on his end no errors, on my end absolutely nothing happened.  Then I tried to share with him from my computer and it put our audio call on hold.  Of note even with a VVX device and Teams, we had the same behavior of having the call put on hold.  My hope was getting a CCX device would have solved this!

HP Recommended

Then I tried to share with him from my computer and it put our audio call on hold.

Oh No!. This is the exact scenario I was hoping this would solve as well. I just ordered several CCX 500 phones based on Jeff's reply. Fantastic...

HP Recommended

Hello @TACMJM  and @Brad_W ,

our CCX Phones run the Microsoft IP Phone Android app from our partner Microsoft so the quickest way to get confirmation or a fix on this would be by reporting this to Microsoft.

The same happens when for example using the iPhone Teams app.

Teams has a built-in feature to do this so I suggest you follow this:

July 31. 2019 Question: How can I report Issues with Teams running on a Poly phone in Native Teams mode?

Resolution: Please collect the Logs as shown here => here <=  and submit them to our Partner Microsoft. You will need to work with Microsoft for this via the explained method >here<.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended
This is a currently known limitation of the Microsoft Teams in that it doesn’t support the concept from standards based world of SIP forking. Once a teams session between two teams clients is active all modalities are active only between those two devices.

Microsoft is aware and working towards a resolution but timing and information will have to come from Microsoft.

I’ve found if both parties are on a teams phone and they desire to perform a screen share then by just doing a meet now workflow on the pc and joining without audio will provide a workaround of the limitation. That said, your case with a headset user and a phone user, their isn’t a way for the headset user to be actively engaged on one teams client in two media sessions. The client will always place one or the other on hold. You’ll see that even if you are the phone user and you share you screen to the headset user, while you are able to answer the ‘call’ on the headset machine, it places the audio call on hold.
HP Recommended

Thanks Brandon_guy I created a support ticket with Microsoft yesterday and they reiterated the same.

Microsoft response

The work around you suggested does work thanks .

HP Recommended

Has this issue been addressed?  Are the Poly CCX series phones now aware of a conversation occurring on computer in Teams so users don't go on hold if they start a screen share?

HP Recommended

Hello,

as already outlined this information would need to come from our Partner Microsoft. 

replied via a mobile device 

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.