Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

First post here, although I wish I'd visited this site a little earlier. Could have saved some time on issues I've had in the past!

Anyway, onto the question at hand. We have deployed Skype for Business across all of our offices, and all has gone very well. We have a provisioning server setup in each site, which updates the firmware, and applies settings as defined. We have streamlined our deployment to VVX 410 and VVX 500 handsets only.

We have just gone out and purchased around 40 x Trio 8800 conference phones, and a little to my surprise, the provisioning server pushed out our config. The phones boot, and work! Unfortunately the one thing that doesn't update is the firmware. I have manually updated a few phones with the USB, but I want to automate this.

I have modified the 000000000000.cfg file with the correct sip.ld firmware for the VVX series phones, and have created a customised .cfg that I have specified in the CONFIG_FILES option on the same file. I'm wondering if it's as simple as including the Trio firmware file (renamed Trio8800.sip.ld) with a comma (",") after sip.ld? This didn't seem to work, but I'm wondering if there is a syntax error I have made?

Can you firstly let me know if this is possible, and if so, where I am going wrong?

Thanks

Dean

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello Dean,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Usually just having the APP_FILE_PATH="sip.ld" should be sufficient to provision a mix of VVX's or Trio's.

The phone always looks first for it's own partnumber.sip.ld and then for the combined sip.ld.

Depending which files you have on your server it will always find them.

For the Trio the same is applicable.

Have you got any server logs or anything why the Trio fails?

There was actually a small issue where Trio's would not follow the above as documented => here <=

The Trio would not look for it's own 3111-65290-001.sip.ld file and instead try and download a Trio8800.sip.ld

Simply ensure that you either already have a 3111-65290-001.sip.ld in your directory when downloading the Trio software from => here <= and make a local copy called Trio8800.sip.ld

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Thanks for your quick response, much appreciated.

Unfortunately I'm a little confused by your answer. Are you saying that I don't need to specify a different sip.ld file for the Trio within the APP_FILE_PATH= option? If this is the case, do I simply name the Trio file "Trio8800.sip.ld" and that will be picked up automatically? 

Regards

Dean

HP Recommended

Hello Dean,

if you have a mix of VVX and Trio phones you would normally be expected to download the VVX UC Software Package (either split or combined) and in addition the Trio Software.

Both of these get unzipped into the same directory.

As described above "some" Trio's left the factory unfortunately not looking for the right file so copying the 3111-65290-001.sip.ld (whilst keeping the original file) into Trio8800.sip.ld should address this.

Once these unit are updated future software upgrades will only look for the 3111-65290-001.sip.ld

You should be able to see this on your server logs. I always use FileZilla so it is easy to check.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello Everyone....

Just circling back on this for some clarity, if I may.  We're doing the exact same scenario as the individual that first posted.

I was (finally) able to separate the configurations into "shared.cfg" (for both), and used [PHONE_MODEL].cfg with corresponding VVX500.cfg and Trio8800.cfg files respectively.  That is working for the settings.

I'm still struggling with the firmware.  When I open the Polycom software package for the Trio, I see a 3111-65290-001.sip.ld file, which I place in the root of the FTP provisioning server.

I also open the VVX500 "Split" software package and find 3111-48500-001.sip.ld   This is where i'm a bit confused.  The part number for the VVX500, I believe, is 3111-44500-001.sip.ld.  Is the first file the upgraded version of the firmware?

I can't seem to get all of the files in place to upgrade both.  If I wipe the files completely from the provisioning root and copy all of the Trio files OR all of the VVX files, I can get it to work for either phone.  I can't seem to find the right combination of files to get them BOTH working from the same provisioning server.

The documentation mentions the sip.ver file.  There is a sip.ver file in each of the models' software directory root, but they both have different version numbers listed.  Is that file relevant? Does it have to be there?

The comments here lead me to believe that with ONE 000000000000.cfg file with an APP_FILE_PATH line and sip.ld as the value... along with two sip.ld files that correspond to each of the models' latest firmware... *should* deploy that firmware to each device respectively with no additional files required.

Can anyone shed some light?  I really wish the documentation actually came with some examples for these kinds of use cases.  My thoughts are that this is likely a syntax problem or perhaps an issue with the filenames. 

Thanks in advance.

jb

HP Recommended

Hello jb,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

You are correct. the Trio and the VVX phones always look first for their respective <part-Number>.sip.ld and the VVX only then looks for the so called combined sip.ld.

You only need the 000000000000.cfg and do not touch it as the phones do everything automatically. No re-naming of files is needed.

Simply download the Trio firmware first (~250MB) and unzip. Then on top of this download the Split VVX firmware and unzip this.

The Trio software is called 3111-65290-001.sip.ld and a VVX500 is 3111-44500-001.sip.ld.

The above is listed on Page 42 of the UC Admin Guide for the VVX Phones.

A good source is:

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.