Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have some questions about using a VVX with Skype for Business and doing Video calls.

The Skype for Business edition of the VVX601 is the ‘top’ model phone.  Part number 2200-48600-019.  Looking through the web configuration utility on one the best video it supports is H.264 at baseline level 2.

Although the VVX Office 365 Skype for Business Reference Guide  mentions Video, this was never really the case.

Hence there was this FAQ (post-dated from 2011 but edited since)
The important bits to note from that FAQ are:
UCS 5.2.X or later
Note: Using Polycom phones with Lync Server:
Video calls are currently unavailable between Polycom phones and the Lync 2013 client
UCS 5.0.0
Note: The support for Lync video calls with UC Software 5.0.0 is limited to the following scenarios when using Lync 2010:
Point-to-Point video calls between VVX 500/600 and LYNC Client 2010 are supported using LYNC 2010.
Video calls in Lync 2013 environment are not supported due to lack of support to H.264 or RTV in UCS 5.0.0. These includes calls between VVX phones.
Video calls in Skype for Business or Skype Online environment are not supported due to lack of support to H.264 or RTV in UCS 5.0.0. These includes calls between VVX phones.

So my interpretation of that is

• Video calling does work with Lync 2010 but only if you’re using a on premise server
  • Video calling does not work if you’re using Lync 2013 client
  • Video calling does not work if you’re using Skype for Business Online / Office 365

However since UCS 5.2 was released two years ago and there’s no newer mentions of video in that post, my question is… what progress has been made since?

In my head either:

1. Configure the Skype for Business client to know it is calling a low-spec device and to use old protocols.
  2. New firmware on the VVX supports the video coding format required for Skype for Business clients.
  3. If the CPU isn’t powerful enough, then a dedicated hardware decoder is attached by USB / expansion module

Can anyone confirm what the latest is?

I would really like to avoid our users having video on the computer and audio on the phone via BToE.

To start let’s say we only want one way with video from a Skype for Business client showing on the VVX screen and forget about the VVX sending video.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @Westyfield2,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Once we release UC Software 5.8.1 you can use the new EagleEye Mini USB and make and receive Video calls with a compatible VVX501 and VVX601

I cannot provide dates or anything else as we cannot discuss unreleased software.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
So just to confirm…
This will enable video calling from VVX to/from Skype for Business client, and not just VVX to VVX?
And this will work for running with Skype for Business Online, and not just Skype for Business on premises server?
If so, that’s great.

If someone only wants to receive video on the VVX and not send video, will just the software suffice?  Or will they need the camera anyway as it has hardware decoder required for the software to work?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello @Westyfield2,

Once the Software is GA these details will be provided.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello @Westyfield2,

we just released the Polycom UC Software 5.8.1 which added support for the Polycom EagleEye Mini Camera using the VVX501 and VVX601.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Hi SteffenBaierUK,

Thank you for the tag.

Two questions that I'll ask here as I can't reply to the release notes thread:

1. In the thread I don't see the word "online" mentioned at all.  Is this also for Skype for Business Online, or is it only for Skype for Business Server 20**.
  2. Does UC Software 5.8.1.6389 enable a VVX to receive a video call by itself?  Or must a EagleEye Mini USB camera be connected even if you don't want to send video?
HP Recommended

Hello @Westyfield2,

to my knowledge a VVX501 or VVX601 can receive a Video Call even if no camera is attached as long as Video is enabled.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.