Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I borrowed two VVX500 phones to test out SfB at our church and I want to set the Basic Profile under Network Configuration to Lync.  I was able to do that with one of the phones, but the other phone didn't have that option under Network Configuration.  I stopped at Quick Setup and there were no options below that (please see screen shot).  Are there some VVX500 phones that won't work with SfB?  I thought all the VVX phones were compatible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @rbos,

a quick test is to factory default the unit. If it does not come up with the Skype sign in then it is not a Skype SKU.

Upgrading the phones or purchasing phones and then upgrading to the latest supported version will add the ability to switch into Skype for Business mode but again the 30 day test license applies.

Any compatible phone can be used for Skype for Business but a license is required.

Please check the Skype for Business FAQ for details on what license part number is required. Any Polycom reseller can sell these.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @rbos,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

It is always useful to include the currently used UC Software version as issues experienced or a question asked may already be addressed in a newer release.

This also allows yourself and others to check against current software release notes, Administrator Guides or FAQ post’s.

The above is also stated in the "Must Read First" and is the absolute minimum requirement every new post should include. .

In addition providing us with this basic information gives Polycom an idea what Software Versions are used in the field and avoids wasting time trying to troubleshoot issues which have already been addressed.

Therefore the Polycom VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Question: How can I find out my SIP or UC Software Version of my Phone?
Resolution: Please check here

Please bear in mind that when you use these phones and they are not originally a Skype for Business SKU as stated in the Skype for Business FAQ:

Jan 26, 2016 Question:Do I require a License to use Polycom VVX Business Media Phones with a Lync Server / Skype for Business server ?

License requirements for Polycom VVX Business Media Phones not using a Lync / Skype for Business SKU:

Please be aware of the following License requirement:

The use of Polycom UC Software versions 4.1.X (“Software”) requires the purchase of a separate Software license for every device that will use the Software in a Lync environment. You may not install, access, or use the Software in a Lync environment on more devices than are listed on your license until additional licenses have been purchased and authorized by Polycom. These licenses should be purchased from the same company from which you purchased the devices. You may operate devices against a Lync server for trial purposes for up to 30 days without purchasing a license. Use of the Software is subject to the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement. 

Polycom reserves the right to audit your deployment to verify that you have sufficient licenses to match the number of devices being used.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  On this forum you are probably used to dealing with Polycom experts who do this for a living.  As I mentioned I borrowed these phones from a friend to test out at our church.  We have been getting a lot of dropped calls with our current VOIP provide and wanted to see if SfB would work better for us.  Apparently one of the phones I borrowed has a Lync license and the other one doesn't.  Fine.  I do have some additional questions, please.

1) Since I borrowed this phone, I am not really going to buy a license for it.  You said I could trial the lync option for 30-days.  If I log into the web utility and update the phone to the latest CU version, do you think the Basic Profile option will show up?  How exactly do I "trial" the lync feature of the phone?

2) I was thinking of buying some used VVX phones on ebay to save money.  With my luck they wouldn't come with a lync license, so is it possible to buy lync licenses directly from Polycom for used equipment?  If so, any idea on the costs?

Thanks is advance for your help.

HP Recommended

Hello @rbos,

a quick test is to factory default the unit. If it does not come up with the Skype sign in then it is not a Skype SKU.

Upgrading the phones or purchasing phones and then upgrading to the latest supported version will add the ability to switch into Skype for Business mode but again the 30 day test license applies.

Any compatible phone can be used for Skype for Business but a license is required.

Please check the Skype for Business FAQ for details on what license part number is required. Any Polycom reseller can sell these.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Ok, sounds like I can buy phones anywhere and then buy my 5 licenses (5150-49253-001) for $75.  Thanks for the help. 

One last question, are those licenses tied to a SN, or can I move them to a new phone if I upgrade the phone?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.