Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

I was honored to appear as a technology/workspace expert at a recent CrowdCompanies panel discussion on "The Future of Work." Part of that event featured a really insightful keynote speech from Lance J. Richards, a long-time guru in workforce strategy and global personnel management.  In his new book Gen Now, he points out that the highly-connected Generation Y has very different expectations of work and workplaces than many companies, but is already one-third of the workforce, and that will grow to three-fourths in ten years.  This growing mix of generations in the same workplaces makes it crucial that people be able to communicate easily, regardless of their age, culture, or comfort with technology.

How does that relate to Polycom?  Well, this company was built with a vision that technology could virtually disappear if we could let people talk and collaborate transparently enough.  Polycom's first product, which Business Week ranked the "Design of the Decade" in 2000, was our first step toward a goal of establishing  complete, integrated Polycom solutions for the live and transparent exchange of ideas, whether voice, image, or media.  That's right: the first shipping product was for voice, but the vision has always been to bring it all together. 

This vision emerged back in 1990, when Gen Y had just started to enter the workforce.  While we weren't so bold as to think we could predict every turn, we did know that world change was accelerating, and would be driven in large part by the expectations of these new and global workers.  To meet this challenge, we adopted a strategy of adaptability and openness, and built that into everything we did via a founding philosophy of interoperability and open standards.  This is an attitude that, today, continues to bear fruit - for example, in our rich and growing set of API's to facilitate third-party innovation.  That's also why Polycom continues to be active in the Standards and partner communities: as a co-founder of IMTC and UFIC, and an active participant in other industry organizations, it is committed to using open standards, helping to develop them, and sharing its own capabilities via API's and royalty-free access to key technologies.

Today, human communications technologies are poised at the intersection of three demands:

• Enterprises’ increasing need for worker skills;
  • Worker demands for more flexibility in their work environments;
  • BYOX (sometimes called "Bring Your Own…Everything,") which is the demand, created by the blending of all generations, to seamlessly tap into a diverse and constantly-swirling broth of endpoints and services. 

Remarkably, these demands have been satisfied so comprehensively that one of the questions that enterprises today can suddenly, seriously, consider is this:  what if distance, cost, time, and culture were no longer barriers?  How could we work differently?  Work better?  Because in fact, they are no longer barriers, and enterprises today can count on that.  Hallway conversations no longer require that everyone's in the same zip code, and globe-spanning voice-and-visual exchanges happen at will, regardless of the mix of networks and services that people may be calling from.

Here's a personal, and extremely recent, example in which I discovered and helped fix a problem yesterday from my home office in San Francisco.  It all started with a virtual "hallway" video conversation with someone in Chicago I barely knew. 

He had messaged me, saying "just want to say hi, do you have a few minutes?"  He only wanted to introduce himself, not to talk about any problem, but as we chatted, he mentioned an issue his group has been having for a long time.  That's when things got really lively:   

• I emailed a detailed question to several Polycom experts 
  • They confirmed that something was not right
  • Via Presence, I knew the "problem" guy and the "solution" expert were both available
  • I texted them both to ask for a short discussion 

And we were in a three-way Polycom video discussion within moments!

Once the three of us were in this face-to-face exchange, the problem (which had never been recognized because while serious its cause was fairly subtle) was quickly exposed and solved.  We had some discussion, a few to-do list things, and we were done.  Less than an hour to solve a problem that's been the subject of back-and-forth email and sporadic customer frustration for two years!

See what happened?  An ad hoc hallway conversation with someone (just incidentally, in Chicago) led to discovering the problem.  A couple of messages with the technical expert in Boulder.  And then a lively, unscheduled, interactive conversation among all three cities.  This fast discovery, discussion and resolution happened because we were able to share the kind of reliable, transparent sound, video, and graphics that we would have had in person.  The old baby-boomer barriers of distance, time, cost and culture were magically lifted for us because we had that "transparent" collaboration channel - the one Polycom was aiming for in 1990, the one that works so well it becomes invisible.

To meet the demands posed by new workers and global distributed workforces, enterprises need highly secure, robust and high-definition real-time collaboration tools that can be flexibly integrated with their own systems.  The solutions that Polycom offers today excel in these environments, and this is just what we were aiming for when the company started.  In addition, there's this: already closely integrated with established platforms among workplaces around the world, they will continue to evolve and grow because of Polycom's fundamental commitment to interoperability, openness, and user delight.

Comments
Occasional Visitor

Jeff- Thanks for the mention.  I also posted a blog about this event on Kelly's website... it ran like this:

I was recently honored to deliver the keynote at a Crowd Companies symposium on “The Future of Work.” Then, I was doubly honored when a senior Polycom executive, Jeff Rodman, mentioned my comments in Polycom’s public blog.

His comments about how Polycom was designed around supporting the future of work reminded me about Kelly’s mission as well.

As we watch significant shifts in work, the workforce and the workplace, the work that Kelly does truly becomes more important to the economy as each day goes by. The Future of Work will continue to be a challenge for many companies. Kelly’s ability to understand these trends, and help our clients navigate through the changes will be key to our ability to continue as their trusted advisor in HR matters.

I’ll be outlining these trends in a coming white paper, but let me highlight a couple:

• We’ll be seeing continued growth in those who self-identify as free agents, consultants or contractors: our contingent labor force. 
  • The migration towards a Collaboration Economy means that we will also migrate from employer-centric to engager-centric.
  • Distance is dead, and technologies like Polycom delivers will be drivers for success in working remotely.
  • We currently define job-sharing as two people sharing one job. In the future, it could easily mean three companies sharing one person.
  • ACA, as it continues to be refined and cleaned, will also support this. Research has been very clear that health care has been the biggest obstacle to people “going out on their own."

Of course, there are more. We are in an era of profound change in what work is and what it means. I look forward to sharing my thoughts, and building a dialogue.

Announcements
The on-demand webcast about Polycom's new breakthrough solutions is available for replay. Watch it now.

Featured Authors
Labels