Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am having trouble getting an HDX to connect using 802.1x.

We use a Windows Server 2008 NPS (Network Policy Server) as the Radius server via Cisco switches.

802.1x is enabled on the codec with a suitable ID and password.

I am testing the Polycom HDX’s with the same authentication credentials as the Cisco/Tandberg endpoints which authenticate with no issue.

When we run a debug on the Cisco switch, we can see the EAP-Requests being sent from the Switch to the HDX however the HDX never sends back an EAP-Response so Dot1x eventually times out/fails.

Am I missing something? Has anyone any experience of configuring this?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello,

What version of firmware are the HDX units running?

What type of encryption have you configured EAP to use, PEAP, TLS, TTLS, MD5?

On the Cisco switches do you have CDP enabled?

HP Recommended

Things have moved on a bit.

We have not yet managed to get the HDX to connect but we are making progress.  The debugs on the switch are showing that the HDX is responding to the EAP ID requests but that when the EAPOL responses are forwarded to the RADIUS server it responds with authentication failures.  It looks like either we have a mismatch on authentication methods between the HDX and the  those configured on the RADIUS, server or that we need to use a different format of ID on the HDX (along the lines for example of domain-name/ID).  We are looking at the logs on RADIUS server to see if we can get some clues.

It seems the problem with the HDX is that, as there is no way to specify the authentication method to use , it uses a scattergun approach of responding with EAPOL messages for every method it knows in the hope that one of them will mean something to the RADIUS server.

We tried this with all versions of software on the HDX from 2.6 and the latest tests are using 3.1.

I think that what I need to know now is what needs to be configured in the Network Policy on the Windows NPS server (the RADIUS server in this case) to handle the HDX authentication requests?

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the same problem with my HDX 7000. I made the autentication with the ID and password and the HDX didn´t send back the response and fails the connection.

The HDX's firmware is 3.0.2 and the type of the encryption is EAP - TLS.

Somebody can tell me if exist another procedure to make this or if am I making something wrong?

Thank you,

HP Recommended

Hello all,

would you have the information what Version of EAP is being used?

If it is EAP Version 3 the HDX does not currently support this.

Please raise a ticket via Polycom support and quote VIDEO-107246.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm trying to implemate 802.1x on my HDX and i have problem with that. I'm not able to authenticate with identity and password.

On RPG series there is no problem with PEAP-MSCHAPv2

Did You resolve this isse ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.