Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Look.  All I want is a formula.  It is simple.  I don't need to be lectured in terminology that I know.  I don't need to be lectured on how to add 1 + 1.  I don't need advise on the type of connections because we have tested and overloaded the heck out of them and are not getting any packet loss using programs like iperf to test them.

It is really simple.  The CDR has 2 columns called Average Packets Lost (and I know the difference between average and persentage).  One is for Tx and one is for Rx (and I know what Tx and Rx mean). 

I know how the HDX unit adds up the running total of the packets lost.  I JUST WANT THAT VALUE INSTEAD OF THE AVERAGE.

It is really simple.  Average is found by taking the total and dividing it by a unit of measurement.  in this case it shoudl look like this:

AVERAGE = TOTAL / (UNIT OF TIME)

WHAT IS THE UNIT OF TIME BEING USED TO FIND THE AVERAGE??!!! 

How hard is it for someone tell me what that unit of time is that is being used to calculate this average?  Why am I getting lectured like I am an idiot who has never taken advanced math classes, who does not hold a Bachelors of Science in Computer Science, is not a Cisco Certified Network Associate, and has not had full training as a Cisco Certified Network Professional. 

I came here for help from other professionals.  If you are not going to be professional about this, then please do not answer my question with nonsense that has nothing to do with my question in order for you to try to make yourself feel and appear smart and try to make me look dumb because all it does is make you look like a jerk.

HP Recommended

The two Average Packet Lost columns in CDR provide the average of packet loss observed between the audio and video RTP for the duration of the call. That is, the Average Packets Lost is calculated as follows:

Average Packets Lost = (total # of packets lost in audio RTP + total # of packets lost in video RTP) / 2

The total number of packets lost in audio and People video combined would be twice the number displayed in the

Average Packets Lost columns. The number of packets lost in audio RTP or video RTP individually cannot be determined from these numbers.

HP Recommended

From the HDX Admin guide ( available to all on the Polycom web site ) ;

'Average Percent of

Packet Loss (Tx) ;

The combined average of the percentage of both audio and

video packets transmitted that were lost during the 5

seconds preceding the moment at which a sample was

taken. This value does not report a cumulative average for

the entire H.323 call. However, it does report an average of

the sampled values.'

So the unit is 5 seconds .....

Case closed ?.....

HP Recommended

I believe we're discussing the two Average Packet Lost columns and not the Average Percent Packet Loss columns.  They are different. 

The Average Percent Packet Loss columns are equivalent to % Packet Loss displayed in the Call Statistics when the call had disconnected. The data provided in these columns are not cumulative and only capture a snapshot of packet loss observed during a 5-second window based on RTCP immediately prior to the call disconnection. Therefore, the Average Percent Packet Loss columns do not describe the overall quality of a video call.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for explaining the average packet loss....but how can we know how badly it affected the call. Waht as the values which can be considered good, bad , worst for avarage packet los... we can sy that with% of packet loss..usually above 1.5% will degrade the AV quality. Do we have any such measures for avarage packet loss ??

Regards,

San.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.