Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have searched and read the FAQ and have been unable to clear my confusion.  ...and this may be something so simple I have overlooked it, being new to the system sio forgive me in advance, if my question seems basic or obvious.

I have several RealPresence Group 500 endpoints.  I also have Resource Manager.  I am unsure if that invalidates this question from being in the "stand alone" forum, but I didn't see anywhere else to ask.

Software version 5.1.1-300113

All the end points are currently set up to use Polycom GDS, but since all our domain users are SIP enabled via Lync Enterprise (Server 2013), we would like to change the directory lookup to "Microsoft" so that we can "dial in" any user directly from an endpoint using a lookup rather than having to enter the sip address in full.  So far so good, we have tested this (and LDAP) and the microsoft integration works great and as we would hope.  LDAP is going to cause us issues as there are so many objects in our domain that are not SIP enabled and would just make things messy.

Now down to the question, how are others managing external contacts for H.323 users now?  I know I can add them individually to favourites on each end point and even tidy them up in groups, but this does present other problems.  Most noteably, if I want to use the same contacts on each end point, I have to export to XML and upload to each device individually.  Is that correct?

That is not the end of the world in itself, but it duplicates entries, so it would be hard to keep one master .xml file and circulate it.  This however, was the only option our third party support team suggested.

Is this truly the only way to access external h.323 contacts from each device?  Have I overlooked something in the administrator's guide or on the resource Manager?

Any advice or suggestions most welcome.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Have you concidered and/or tried adding them to RPRM as a "Guest" in the "Guest Book" area of Users ?   That should get propogated to all the endpoints.

I don't know if the version of your RPRM has the option to disable distribution of Guest Book entries but it might and you would need to enable that function.

Good luck!

Gary M

HP Recommended

@GaryMiyakawa1 wrote:

Have you concidered and/or tried adding them to RPRM as a "Guest" in the "Guest Book" area of Users ?   That should get propogated to all the endpoints.

I don't know if the version of your RPRM has the option to disable distribution of Guest Book entries but it might and you would need to enable that function.

Good luck!

Gary M

Thanks Gary, I'll give it a go and let you know.  I haven't actually gone live with the Lync lookup yet, so I am flicking between the two configs.  My original understanding was that this wasn't possible, so I hadn't tried it.

HP Recommended

@GaryMiyakawa1 wrote:

Good luck!

Gary M

Hi Gary, unfortunately this hasn't worked for me.

Whilst I am configured to use "Polycom GDS", if I go into Contacts > Global Entry, I can see the test guest users I created.

However, as soon as the endpoint registers with "Microsoft", the entirety of "Global Entry" directly reflects the SIP enabled users, via the Lync Enterprise Service.

It was a good test to do, but unfortunately it hasn't provided what I was hoping for 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.