Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I have a couple of X50s that that I am considering deploying strictly in device mode to facilitate a request to be able to use them for something other than Zoom (Teams/WebEx, etc), typically they are set up as Zoom Rooms. They have 3.5.0 installed and seem to be stable in this configuration, I was just wondering if anyone has had issues using them in a similar fashion? 

Also I'm unable to find it anywhere but is it possible to change the background and logo while in device mode? I'd like to use our in-house branding. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I just discovered that device mode now works w/a Trio C60 rather than just a TC8 or touch screen display. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I just discovered that device mode now works w/a Trio C60 rather than just a TC8 or touch screen display. 

HP Recommended

Following is my experience with device mode over the last year. 

Current Version: 3.5.0-344025

I have deployed a few X50s in our environment and have been running a few of those in strict device mode and also a few in Poly mode with user selecting device mode when needed. I keep the X series updated with the automatic update option, so they are on the current latest and greatest. I have had nothing but issues with device mode. I have run device mode at my desk on an X30 in a controlled environment for the last few months (I am using the recommended USB cable and do have HDMI connected from PC to X series as that is optional) and it usually work for me, but I do have frequent occasions of the X30 microphone/camera suddenly not working and PC screen freezing on the X30. Only solution is to reboot and all is good.

Currently the three X50s I have in the field have constant issues through numerous firmware upgrades (device mode still show version 1.0). I do have a case open with VAR, which has been forwarded to Poly with logs and PC specifics, but not too hopeful as it is obvious it is flaky device mode software (I see exact same scenario on Poly boards and no resolutions).  

I can guarantee you that until the issues are fixed through a firmware upgrade for device mode you will not be able to turn your back on those X series you deploy in device mode. Reboot is always the fix to the point of better off booting them every morning. I am currently waiting on a G7500 to replace a Group in a room environment and of course customer is foaming at the mouth for device mode, but are likely going to have the same issues. 

I have to note that the X50s I run in Zoom mode work flawlessly. Teams mode has also improved greatly with recent updates, but can't speak to how dependable as we are not running any in Teams mode.

https://community.polycom.com/t5/Video-Endpoints/Poly-Studio-X50-USB-Device-Mode-on-but-not-usable-t...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.