Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Just in case no one has noticed a recent New York Times article asserting that VC End Points are vunerable to "hacking" & "total strangers browsing your boardroom" has sparked an active debate in the Linked-In Videoconferencing Professionals Group.

Polycom is singled out for criticism of the Auto-Answer on by default.

Having witnessed on many occations the ineptitude of users (many the most senior personnel in the organisation) VC adoption would be significantly harmed by leaving the HDX/VSX/VStation to just ring until someone was smart enough to

a/. find the right remote control

&

b/ press the answer button all before the call terminated due to lack of attention.

I invite the community to comment here or @ Linked-In Videoconferencing Professionals.

As for HTTP/Telnet/SNMP access  sheesh!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Personally, as part of any VC install I explain all of the above, the pros and cons about auto answer and the power of the modern camera (i.e.. Don't leave sensitive material on the meeting room table because .. )  - I then normally demonstrate the ability to easily read something on the table

. I find the client makes the decision about leaving auto answer on or off based on this and who the user will be. 50% go for having to press 'OK ' to answer the call, and 50% go for auto answer on mute.

Essentially if you don't leave anything in the camera view, there is no issue. Worst case you get a rouge connection and they have a look around your dark meeting room. I don't think its as much of an issue as the press think. Clearly someone has just seen a system on auto answer and pressed a panic button IMHO

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Personally, as part of any VC install I explain all of the above, the pros and cons about auto answer and the power of the modern camera (i.e.. Don't leave sensitive material on the meeting room table because .. )  - I then normally demonstrate the ability to easily read something on the table

. I find the client makes the decision about leaving auto answer on or off based on this and who the user will be. 50% go for having to press 'OK ' to answer the call, and 50% go for auto answer on mute.

Essentially if you don't leave anything in the camera view, there is no issue. Worst case you get a rouge connection and they have a look around your dark meeting room. I don't think its as much of an issue as the press think. Clearly someone has just seen a system on auto answer and pressed a panic button IMHO

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.