Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I forget admin password set on the system in the Security screen in the UI,Now i have to change some configuration on the unit

is there any way to clear the  password?

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Default password is usually the system S#, 14 digits starting 82 or 88. Alpha characters in the S# MUST be upper case.  If this default has been changed & the new password lost, the only recourse is to factory default the unit.

Factory Default.

Turn the unit off.  Now hold down the "0" button & turn unit on.  Keep the "0" button down until you can see that the LED is flashing accepting the IR Remote input.

The VSX will now boot into a screen that looks like a BIOS & acquire a DHCP IP address.

Check the bottom right hand side of this screen to ensure Security Mode is OFF. More on that later.

At this point you can flash a new image to the device, probably best to choose a Custom install when offered typical or custom.

The Custom option allows you to do a ERFL or Erase System Flash Memory.

Once the update is complete the VSX will be as from factory with the default password (S# upper case).

You may need to s/w update it back up to latest version.

Security Mode.

At the reboot into the Boot UI if this is ON, contact your supplier.  The abilty to circumvent this feature is controlled to protect the integrity of Security Mode.

Pete

HP Recommended

would you not just reset the box from the diagnostic page? using the serial?

HP Recommended
Hi

I am also trying to default a vsx 6000 (forgotten admin password)
so I followed these instructions but now the unit is unresponsive.
When switched on it does not display any image and holding down
0 while powering has no effect. I think I must have just done an ERFL but not
set it to install the software. I am unsure of what I can do because I can't
get the softwareupdate program to connect - perhaps the ip changed?
Can you please give me some advice?

Much appreciated
Rob
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.