Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I have a question regarding how polycom station bundles together ISDN channels.

We have two Polycom HDX8000 stations having to connect together over 4 ISDN BRI links.

When calling from one station to the other, we want to use all of the 8B channels available. To this extent, is it necessary to have all of the BRIs under the same number, or will the calling station inform the receiving one about the line numbers it can be reached at?

Thank you very much, unfortunately polycom documentation seems to be very scarce.

Francesco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there 🙂

To this extent, is it necessary to have all of the BRIs under the same number,

>> NO

or will the calling station inform the receiving one about the line numbers it can be reached at?

>> Yes, that´s exactly what the codec will do during call setup

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi there 🙂

To this extent, is it necessary to have all of the BRIs under the same number,

>> NO

or will the calling station inform the receiving one about the line numbers it can be reached at?

>> Yes, that´s exactly what the codec will do during call setup

HP Recommended

Thanks Uwe,

that's an important peace of information. Do you know how to troubleshoot this part of the negotiation? We seem to have problems establishing connection using all of the 8Channels and at this point it doesnt seem to be due to the lines.

Also, do you know what protocol takes care of this information exchange? I.E. PPP or H225.

Thanks,

Francesco

HP Recommended

IMHO, cause it´s ISDN, it should be  Q.931 for the call signaling.

How many lines will be established when calling another party ?

HP Recommended

Not sure it's up to Q.931 to transfer this information. Q.931 will setup the call between the two parties but I would think it's up to some other protocol to exchange this kind of informaiton.

What we see after the first line has come up, also the others come up for a few seconds (the dots become green), then the video degrades and the whole communication drops.

This makes me think of an authentication or negotiation problem, but without logging information, it's hard to tell.

Francesco

HP Recommended

Francesco,

As you use ISDN connection i.e. ITU-T Recommendation H.320 both PPP and H.225 aren't used. Procedure for establishing communication is described in ITU-T Rec. H.242, also H.221 (Frame structure),  H.230 (Frame-synchronous control and indication signals) and some others must be taken in consideration.

For troubleshoot the H.320 issues you have to get traces from both endpoint and PBX. If you are not familiar with such technologies you need to contact with Polycom support team.

WBR,

Mike

HP Recommended

OK, it makes sense.

I will try to refer the logs and the standards you mentioned to try and figure this out.

Many thanks for now,

Francesco

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.