Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am a one-man IT dept at my company. My background is hardware.  I have been tasked with fixing an issue our salesmen have when trying to video-conference in to headquarters. They have been using Emblaze VCON vPoint to video conference in from their laptops to our Polycom HDX 7000. The setup had been working fine for over 4 years, but stopped working about 2 or 3 months ago (they didn't mention anything about it until about two weeks ago). The problem is that when they use the vPoint software and dial into the HDX unit at HQ, we can see and hear them, but they cannot see or hear the feed from the conference room.

I contacted Polycom phone support and they would not help as the vPoint software is not theirs. They recommended their own software, RealPresence Desktop. I downloaded and installed RealPresence Desktop 3.0.0.38914 onto a salesman's laptop and dialed the HDX unit's public IP address.  I still have the same problem; the HDX can see and hear the feed from the laptop, but the laptop cannot see or hear anything from the HDX.

The laptop is running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  The HDX is behind a SonicWall TZ 210.  There is no gatekeeper.  The firewall is allowing the audio and video feed from the laptop in to the HDX but is not allowing anything out from the HDX.  How do I go about getting the conference feeds to traverse the firewall in both directions without issue?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

This is a classic firewall issue, more likely at the far end, since they do not see the data, than at your end.

I would be looking at things like a change in service providers, the firewall software being updated or even an update to the laptops OS causing the issues.

HP Recommended

Steven,

Thank you for your response.  I've been working on this issue all day.  We called in the outside consultants who had been the sole IT support for the company until I came on board.  They advised that the HDX unit is on its own network and not behind the SonicWall.  We tracked down the router to which the HDX is connected (an old Netopia circa 2003) and checked the settings on it.  It has a built-in firewall, but we made sure that it was completely disabled.  It is set to allow all traffic in either direction and yet the RPD still cannot receive the HDX feed.

We've had no change in ISP.

Nothing has been done with the Netopia router for well over a year.  Netopia is no more; it was acquired by Motorola in 2007.

We thought it might be an OS issue as all the PCs we have are Windows 7.  The sales rep in China had upgraded from xp several months ago, so we thought it might be an issue with Win 7 but we just found out he was able to successfully connect with his Win 7 machine until approximately 2-3 + months ago.

We have narrowed it down to, if not the HDX or RPD, the router and an OS update.  We are going to replace the router regardless then try again and we are currently looking into OS updates as a cause, but have no idea where to start.  I see, from searching the forum, that this is not the first time Polycom has been notified (problem posted in the forum) of such an issue.  Can you give me an idea of what update might have caused this?  Unfortunately, the folks affected did not notify IT in a timely manner so we have no way of pinpointing exactly when it stopped working any more precisely than a 1-2 month timeframe.

HP Recommended

@Steven_Zabriski wrote:

This is a classic firewall issue, more likely at the far end, since they do not see the data, than at your end.

I would be looking at things like a change in service providers, the firewall software being updated or even an update to the laptops OS causing the issues.

We have installed a new modem/router and have made sure any firewall feature on it is completely disabled and we still have the same issue.

Just to reiterate: Our Polycom HDX receives the feed from the RPD on the laptop but the laptop does not receive the feed from the HDX.  The HDX unit is not behind our SonicWall.  It is not behind any firewall at all. It is on its own network on a separate DSL line. The previous IT manager set up the router on that network with the same IP address as what is used for our SonicWall which is what led to the confusion of thinking it was behind the SonicWall, initially.  So, the HDX and the laptop are on two separate networks.

With the laptop being the far end behind the SonicWall and the HDX being the near end with absolutely no firewall, the video feed is only in one direction: from the laptop RPD to the HDX.  Using the RPD installed on the laptop, and it behind the SonicWall, I have tried multiple vtc test sites and can successfully connect with many of them; I receive the audio and video feed from those sites.  This would appear to exclude our SonicWall being what is preventing the feed from the HDX.  I tried all of the Polycom test sites on that page (which are the same sites on the Polycom Support page) and none of them would even answer the call.

As I stated before, we have not had a change in service provider.  Now, after having successfully connected to several  test sites, I do not believe that this issue is related to our SonicWall firewall in any way whatsoever.  And if it were an OS update causing the problem, I should think I would not be able to get ANY feed from ANY site.  I believe this issue is related to the HDX itself.

HP Recommended

I can successfully connect to this IP: 96.244.192.118.  I found it in another post.  It belongs to a Polycom employee.

HP Recommended

Has anyone found a fix for his issue yet? We have Sonicwall 240 and can connect to the test site:

96.244.192.118 but not our own. However, we can hear and see the person from the RealPresence desktop client when we connect to our own HDX 8006.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.