Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I have configured an X50 with WiFi as the primary network and am attempting to pair the TC8 touch panel with the X50 over a cable between the two devices and assigning static IP's on each end in the same private subnet (ie 192.168.x.x).  The pairing is unsuccessful, I cannot see the TC8 in available devices, should this be able to work?  If not, why not?  I don't want to use ethernet for primary networking, just the TC8 (it doesn't support WiFi).  Thank you for any insight/help

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @HA ...

Can´t you just connect both devices to your router (assuming you are in the home office currently) ?

You´d connect the Studio X via Wifi and the TC8 via cable. Both devices should get DHCP information and end up in the same network, even if not connected directly to each other. Now you you should be able to pair the devices as you would normally do. Support for pairing with IP devices when running wifi as the primary network is supported since release 3.5.

Cheers,

Uwe

Cheers, Uwe

Check my blog at https://aitsc.de/blog
HP Recommended

@Uwe that would work of course but we don’t have an Ethernet connection at the x50, only WiFi. It’s on a mobile cart that is intended to be moved around a building that has WiFi everywhere. Ideally I’d just like to use a single short eth cable between the tc8 and the x50 (they are physically right together on the cart). Can I not just assign static IP addresses on each unit and then pair? That way no dhcp server is needed. I’ve tried and it doesn’t seem to work, pairing doesn’t show any devicesI will troubleshoot further if you think this is possible.

HP Recommended

Hello @HA ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

The TC8 and the Studio X use broadcasts to pair and if these packets do not arrive they cannot pair. I suggest you get a WiFi adapter that provides a Lan port.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I was finally able to get this to work as follows, but with some issues still to be resolved;

1.  By assigning a static IP address on the X50 and the TC8 manually, for example:

X50:   192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0  GW 192.168.1.1

TC8:    192.168.1.20 255.255.255.0  GW 192.168.1.1

Now I was able to use just a regular ethernet cable between the TC8 and the X50 and it was able to pair. 

2. Additionally, the WiFi network had been connected prior to step 1 (otherwise you'd have no way to access the web gui).  You can access the WebGui via the IP address assigned by WiFi.

3.  Problems

H323 calls do not seem to work between other endpoints that are also on the same WiFi network.    Is H323 over WiFi not supported?

As you may have noted in 1, the GW address was specified as 192.168.1.1 even though there is no such device, however the LAN settings do not allow you to leave that field blank, even though the 'real' gateway is assigned by the WiFi connection.  

HP Recommended

Hi @HA,

Wi-Fi as the primary network is only available when using Zoom Rooms or Teams as your
conferencing provider.

HP Recommended

Hi. I´m sorry but this will not work.

During setup you can configure Wifi as your primary network (when running Teams or Zoom), as already stated.

If you´re running PolyOS (as i see you´re trying to do H323 calls), this is a non supported scenario.

Taking it one step further: If you have configured Wifi as your primary network and you connect a LAN cable, the network priority changes automatically and sets the wired connection as the prefered option (can´t be changed manually). You´re actively experiencing this behaviour: The Studio X is trying to route the call to the default gateway on the LAN side (not the Wifi). As the gateway isn´t available, your call will not connect.

Please consider adding a wifi router / bridge, that connects to your existing Wifi (with DHCP) into your mobile solution to connect both devices into the same network (X via Wifi, TC8 via LAN cable) and to pair them properly. All other options will not work or are not supported.

I´ve attached a picture to explain the possible setup.

Cheers, Uwe

Check my blog at https://aitsc.de/blog
HP Recommended

Thank you @mschu, I have seen reference to Zoom being supported over WiFi but I also believe I have seen reference to Teams NOT being supported over WiFi. Can someone confirm that Teams can indeed work over WiFi as the primary connection?

We are establishing a Zoom Rooms account now for the purposes of using WiFi as a primary connection.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

You would need WiFi to ethernet adaptor with PoE for TC8 (you can probably use simple PoE injector for the purpose of powering TC8). So TC8 and X50 would be on the same WiFi network and WiFi clients would need to be allowed to discover each other on that SSID (you would need to check with your WiFi equipment vendor). Poly X50 does not allow pass-through network connections for TC8 to reach to meeting provider service (Zoom, MS Teams etc).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.