Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We recently purchased a Poly X50 and have set it up in its default Poly Mode. We have it connected to a projector and a Poly TC8 currently. Our original intention was to use the device for conferencing but we ran into an issue that the default hardware only allows for one conferencing program at a time without resetting the device.

As an alternate solution we wish to use the Poly Mode's "Device Mode" feature in tandem with a computer which will manage the conferencing and simply use the X50's camera and speaker. However, when we plug the computer (currently testing with a Latitude 5285) into the X50 and set it to device mode...nothing happens.

All we get is the message saying to plug a device into the X50 with no further instructions and we are unable to access it on the device. Occasionally, when unplugging and plugging the device back in the X50's display will flash quickly before continuing to show the same message.

So...what gives? Is there anything special we need to do for Device Mode to function? Are other people having similar issues?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

It would be of interest what Software you are encountering this with?

In addition what USB cable are you using and what length, as there is a USB standard >here< that defines the maximum length a cable should have to be within the specifications.

These are not Poly limitations but physical limitations.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

To answer those questions:

1) We are running version 3.2.1-224090 of the X50 software according to the admin page.

2) Our USB cable is a 6 foot USB A to C cable. As best I know this should be well below the length limitations of the wiring.

HP Recommended

Hello @Robert P 

is this a high-end cable or just a cheap cable?

I suggest you get this into support.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Robert,

I ran into this issue myself and discovered that the x50 only supports device mode though the USB-C port and not through the USB-A which are used for expandable cameras and other future uses. I was able to get this working by running a USB-C to USB-A 3.0 short cable to an active USB-A 3.0 female to male extender cable to our boardroom table, we also added a long HDMI cable to the table for good measure and zip tied the cables together. Keep in mind the USB cable length is beyond the USB spec (unsupported by Poly I'd imagine) that's why we used the active cable.

Here is everything we used to get it working:

UGREEN USB C Cable 90 Degree Right Angle

https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-degr%C3%A9s-tress%C3%A9-Samsung-Nintendo/dp/B07VJNQT6F/

Cable Matters 10M Active USB Extension Cable Male to Female

https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Matters-SuperSpeed-Female-Extension/dp/B00DMFFL2W/

30ft HDMI cable

https://www.amazon.ca/4k-HDMI-Cable-30ft-Supports/dp/B06XK6L5PB/

Hopefully this helps you or someone else who ran into this issue, it's not clearly stated in the documentation that the USB-C port is the only supported port for device mode.

HP Recommended

So I am having a similar, but slightly different problem.

When I connect the USB-A to USB-C cable (the A side to the laptop, and the C side to the USB-C port)I get tones from WIndows (10) indicating new hardware, but nothing happens.

I have reset and reconfigured this unit 3 times now. and no matter what, it will not connect with my laptop to allow use of the camera, Mics, and Speakers. 

And before you ask if I have tried a different device, let me explain that I have to test a dozen rooms every morning. 3 other x50's, 4 Polycom Group Series 700, 4 Crestron Mercury units, and a Studio P-15.  All of these other devices are recognized by my laptop without hesitation for USB connection (aka Device Mode) yet this particular unit seems to have an issue with device mode.

I just pulled this from the admin page:

StudioX50-561492FB
00:e0:db:56:14:92
Current Version: 3.10.0-362035
The software version is up-to-date.

Any thoughts? I cannot update the up to date firmware, Device Mode is enabled, and resetting the unit doesn't get me anywhere -unless there is a deeper reset that might fix this.

HP Recommended

Hello @Hawk P. ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

If you tested this using the same cable with other units and they work then this would need to come into Poly support.

Maybe the logs will tell is or it may even need an RMA.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, this is a loaner unit from our vendor because of the delay on the G7500. They said it was functioning when they shipped it, but from the time their installers unpacked it till now, its never worked for USB connectivity.

As noted above, I have been trying to get it to work, but it will not recognize the hardware. My very last attempt will be to get some canned air and try cleaning out the USB-C port, just in case there is an issue with debris being in the port. 

It's strange that windows will "see" that hardware is detected, but not install anything. And the office I am working at uses BlueJeans, and their Windows app will present new hardware automatically and ask if you wish to use it. That does not happen with this unit.

Worst still, apparently - per the vendor- this unit doesn't have any warranty status. I don't know how old it is, but i'm guessing its outside whatever default warranty is.

Just puts a huge damper on trying to have a temp solution while waiting on the G7500 we purchased months ago.

Their confidence is not very high with my recommendation to replace the Crestron Mercury devices with X50's, especially if they have to wait till the next year.

HP Recommended

Well, who would have thought canned air would be the fix??

Yup, sprayed out the port and it is now working. Just goes to show, you have to visit the easy/mundane fixes every now and then.

HP Recommended

Hello @Hawk P. 

thanks for bringing this to closure and regarding the G7500 I do not think waiting for next year will be necessary (this is my personal opinion).

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.