Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

We will be streaming focus groups next year and I am working to set up an arrangement where an HD camera would be filming the focus group and sending the signal to a PC. I want to control the camera from the PC and record whatever it is transmitting.

I was recommended a Sony EVI-D70p camera for this purpose, however, the EagleEye that we already have has a better resolution and I figured why not use that. I have a breakout cable so connecting the video is not a problem, however, I am more concerned with how to control the camera from the PC and whether it is possible at all.

If it isn't possible to connect it directly, then I guess I could use a DVI cable to connect the PC to the HDX device as a second monitor, set the second monitor as 'near view' only so that only 'near view' is transmitted and then control the camera with web director via the interface (I don't think any dynamic controls will be needed, just the initial set up). That kind of sounds a bit extreme though.

Any tips?

Many thanks,

BM300VC

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

There are 2 ways to do this, neither which maybe what you want.

The first is that both AMX and Crestron have modules which allow for the control of the Polycom EagleEye cameras, the HD, II or III.  The EagleEye 1080 uses standard VISCA controls.

The other way would be to connect the DB9 of the breakout cable to the DB9 of the breakout cable connected to the HDCI input if on input 1 of the HDX or if using HDCI input 2 on the HDX 8000 or 9000 connect to and configure the serial input for camera control.  Use the Web Director in the web UI, under the utilities tab at the top of the web UI page, to move the camera.  I would highly recommend using presets to move the camera as they can be preset and are easier when remote due to the delay of the time when controlling the camera over the web UI.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Steven.

The camera is the 720p model. I take it that controls for that one are proprietary?

I have no experience with AMX or Crestron at all. Given that the sole purpose of buying a unit would be to control the camera, would you know what budget I'd be looking at roughly?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.