Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Does anyone knowns what the purpose is for the 12DCV power connector input on EagleEye IV ? Since HDCI already deliver power via the cable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the maximum distance the EE4 can be driven with just a cable is 10m.  After that the video signal degrades enough that we can not assume the video would be acceptable quality.  If you need to extend the cable more than 10m then you need to use either the Polycom EagleEye Digital Extender or the extender offered from SoundControl

The power jack is also used on the 700 since the 2nd HDCI input does not provide power.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I believe it would be used in a place where the cable run was longer than normal....In the past we always used this if we had very long camera cable runs with our Eagle Eye cameras. Not sure if this is the same reason, but might make sense...

HP Recommended

Well you have got a point! With EagleEye III between 10 ~ 30m HDCI cable, the 12DCV power adapter is required. But, with EagleEye IV, the document (rpgs-6-2-2-irg.pdf) refers to a digital extender which uses a 48DCV adapter instead. 

I haven't tried 12DCV adapter combined with longer then 8m HDCI yet. But, I did connected the adapter in combination with 8m HDCI, the camera NOT working at all. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

As i know, EE IV HDCI Cables 10m works good with Group Series. But G7500 is not compatible with that.

I have seen 2 EE IV cameras are connected Group700 with two 30m HDCI Cables. And it work fine.

HP Recommended

A lot of times in hardware design you add things that you think maybe needed in the future so you do not have to spin the hardware down the road.  The power connector on the EagleEye IV is there so if it were needed to support longer cables it would be there.  The EagleEye IV camera was first used on the RP Group Series, the EagleEye IV used on the G7500 is the same camera.

the goal was to be able to support longer cable runs and knowing the power would be marginal on long runs the power connector was part of the design.  After testing the signal quality of the video it was not reliable beyond 10m, but the power on the HDCI cable was acceptable at 10m.  Thus the power was not needed and we were limited to the 10m cables on the G7500.

I thought there was a use case of recommending the use of an external power source when using the Camera sleep mode but I could not find any notes on it.   Will update this if I find something about it.

HP Recommended

I guess you referred to this one: Quote from rpgs-6-2-2-irg.pdf: "Power supply is required only if you want to use the IR remote to wake the system when it is in sleep mode on RealPresence Group 700 systems."

HP Recommended

Sine I have only tested my setup with GS310, I guess the 12DCV adapter can't deliver enough power to EE IV with longer then 10M HDCI, hence the need of digital extender with 48DCV. With GS700, since there is a builtin AC to DC converter, I can only imagine the current or the power must be stronger then G7500. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

HP Recommended

the maximum distance the EE4 can be driven with just a cable is 10m.  After that the video signal degrades enough that we can not assume the video would be acceptable quality.  If you need to extend the cable more than 10m then you need to use either the Polycom EagleEye Digital Extender or the extender offered from SoundControl

The power jack is also used on the 700 since the 2nd HDCI input does not provide power.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.