Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

We're having difficulties sharing video from a Polycom HDX8000 to a Cisco SX80. The problem occurs when the remote end calls us with their Cisco SX80 we are not able to share video. When we try to send video, it shows that we are sending on our side from our Polycom (little laptop icon – and the feed shows up on our tv), but the video never gets received at the remote end. We have to end the call and call them back to send video. On our end we have no restrictions on our firewall to send data. Would it use different ports if we try to share if they call us vs if we call them, is video shared over tcp or is it udp? Or could it be something else, such as a video setting somewhere?

Thanks for any help,

Cam

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello ,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

It is always useful to include the currently used Software version as issues experienced or a question asked may already be addressed in a newer release.

This also allows yourself and others to check against current software release notes, Administrator Guides or FAQ post’s.

The above is also stated in the "Must Read First" and is the absolute minimum requirement every new post should include. .

In addition providing us with this basic information gives Polycom an idea what Software Versions are used in the field and avoids wasting time trying to troubleshoot issues which have already been addressed.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi,

My apologies. The software version is 3.1.11-53024 for the HDX 8000, and the SX80 is running CE9.1.2.

Thanks,

Cam

HP Recommended

It sounds like a firewall issue possibly at the far end.  When they initiate the call, the video port channels being used from your end may not be opened properly thru their firewall.  When you initiate the call, their firewall may open the ports they want to use for video and your ends' video gets thru.  A packet capture of a good and bad call may shed some light.

HP Recommended

We did some packet tracing at both ends and could not see any drops. I was told that sharing will fail after a period of about 10 minutes of inactivity for sharing, which we were able to replicate. I checked the firewall timeouts and it is 60 minutes for TCP (60 seconds for UDP). I can't raise the UDP timeout due to the load that imposes on the firewall, but in any case, it takes longer that 60 seconds for the problem to occur. I assume it would be a TCP connection to initiate sharing anyway?

Thanks,

Cam

HP Recommended

Ok, so sharing works but there is a timeout issue.  There has been considerable discussion on timeouts on various forums. If I remember correctly, there may be a counter somewhere set to 10 that closes a connection (TCP/UDP) after 10 keepalive timer expirations. 60 seconds * 10 timeouts = 10 minutes

HP Recommended

Hi Joe,

I wonder if it might be that the content source, which is a PC, has a screensaver that is kicking in when it is idle (I have to check this though). When it wakes up (i.e., when we try to share content on it), could video timings be incorrect? We also have a signal booster, which we installed between the PC and the Polycom as we were seeing artifacts on the images (which this solved). Also, we do use a video switching device. Any of these may interfere with video timings, so I will try to connect things more directly and disable any screensaver, and then see what happens.

Thanks,

Cam

HP Recommended

I just checked: the screensaver is not active.

HP Recommended

Let's be clear.  Are you having issues with people video or sharing content such as a presentation? Those would be two separate video channels unless you're sharing content in the main video channel in lieu of people video.

Can you share the packet traces with us? Still sounds like the media connection is being shut down due to a timeout.  The media streams generally are UDP (set up by TCP) and there are keep-alive packets sent to maintain the connection.  You should see those keep-alive packets in the packet traces along with acknowledgment packets.

HP Recommended

Hi Joe,

The issues are with sharing content. It is separate from the camera feed. Due to problems running packet traces on our firewall (it causes dataplane CPUs to run at 100%, I can't really run packet traces for more than a minute, which makes it tricky. I'm going to try first of all to share from a source connected directly to the Polycom, with no intermediate devices such as signal boosters, converters, switchers etc. On the basis that the issue occurs after 10 mins (I'm relying on the user reports here), I agree it sounds more like a timeout issue. 

Will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Cam

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.