Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an eagle eye 4 camera extended using a Digital Breakout Adapter. I would like to know the protocol to control the camera using RS-232. I use the serial port of the codec to control only the codec and would like separate control from an AMX controller of the camera.

Is there a protocol manual available? I haven't found anything on the Polycom website or in the forums about this.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Polycom does not publish the direct control API to the Eagle Eye cameras.   You will need to control the camera using the codec's API thru either RS-232 directly connected to the Codec or thru Telnet commands.   For information about those commands, please look at the "Itegrators Reference Manual" appropriate for the Codec you are trying to control.

Good luck,

Gary M

HP Recommended

Hi Mozez, did you found any solution for your problem?

I´m trying to control the eagle eye iv connected to a Crestron processor but I can´t make it work.

Regards,

Juanca

HP Recommended
why would you make and sell an RS232 break out box, and not allow the protocol to be published??
HP Recommended

No I didn't. Sorry.

HP Recommended

GYZMO, Great question. Hopefully we get an answer (not likely). My answer was just to not use polycom for those builds. I used Cisco instead.

HP Recommended

So first the response to the original question by Gary Miyakawa is correct, Polycom does not have the distribution rights to the API for the camera, control can only be via the codec.

To the question about the Digital Breakout Adapter (DBA):

1.  The purpose of the DBA is to be able to route the HDMI signals from the camera to a switcher and to route the cable from the DB9 on the DBA to the codec for control of the camera as well as the other signals that are part of the DB9 connector.

2.  To be able to use the HDMI and serial connection of the GS 310 and 500 as a second camera input.  

3.  A way to extend the digital HDCI cables a bit longer than the 10m Polycom HDCI support., using high quality HDMI and DB9 cables.

The user's guide explains the use cases the DBA supports and it can be found along with other documentation on the Polycom support web site.  The link specific for the DBA is <here>

HP Recommended

Polycom Video EP PLM, thanks for your reply. Forgive my ignorance here but if you never publish the serial API for the camera then how is the first pic in the user guide supposed to work? "Control System" should instead be called "Codec" right? Since I can't control the camera without using the codec. 

This seems misleading since it implies the use of a third party control system is possible as it is not mentioned in any of the text that it specifically requires the use of the codec RS232 port. In my original post I say this, "I use the serial port of the codec to control only the codec and would like separate control from an AMX controller of the camera." Gary's reply (although correct) basically said this was not possible so I went for a different build. I believe that not long after this Polycom released an RJ45 extender box for HDCI which I have used on later builds.

HP Recommended
Misleading is correct, the user guide says Control system, so what is so secret about how to tell a PTZ camera what to do. if the protocol is so secret, sell an active converter that lets you use basic RS232 commands. Why can Polycom ( and Cisco ) not see that they would sell many more of their cameras if they would allow control of the camera by AMX or other control system.??
HP Recommended

GYZMO, yes it seems ridiculous to us not to include this basic functionality. Who knows what designs Polycom have for their product lines. I would suspect though that selling cameras is not their focus and it would appear that their licensing for the camera control protocol doesn't allow them to publish it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.