Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RealPresence Desktop 3.9 Deployment through SCCM

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

RealPresence Desktop 3.9 Deployment through SCCM

Hi All,

The new version of Polycom RPD 3.9 that I have deployed through SCCM recently to user workstation is not showing desktop icon after update is completed. RPD 3.9 is also invisible in program files. Though I have checked control panel Add/Remove Programs and RPD 3.9 is showing there installed.

Do you know what is causing this problem as I have more than 100 workstation and so far I am manually uninstalling the software after getting this failure through SCCM and reinstalling again and RPD 3.9 icon shows and up and working.

Regards,

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: RealPresence Desktop 3.9 Deployment through SCCM

Hello @Faisalakrami,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

From our internal Team:

The deployment runs only when user is logged in and needs to be created as an application not a package. If there is a need to make it a differed deployment then, they must have a custom client Application Evaluation deployment Cycle set to occur every 1 days. If they do not want a deffered method edit the Deploy-Application.ps1 (powershelltoolkit used for deployment) and put hash in front of the Show-InstallationWelcome line or delete complete line.

# Show Welcome Message, close Internet Explorer if required, allow up to 3 deferrals, verify there is enough disk space to complete the install and persist the prompt
       Show-InstallationWelcome  -AllowDefer -DeferTimes 2 -persistprompt

#Show Progress Message (with the default message)
       Show-InstallationProgress -StatusMessage "Installing Application $installTitle. Please Wait..." 

# Perform pre-installation tasks here

#*===============================================
#* INSTALLATION 
$installPhase = "Installation"
#*===============================================

# Perform installation tasks here

#This method filters with GWMI for an application and uses uninstall method of GWMI if detected by it- Note does not suppress reboots. 
$product3=gwmi win32_product -filter "Name LIKE '%Polycom RealPresence Desktop%'"
if ($product3 -eq $null){}
       else {$product3.uninstall()}

Execute-MSI -Action Install -Path "RPDesktop.msi" -Parameters "/qn"

FYI uninstall script will never reboot machine.

RPD_SCCM_01.png

Detection and deployment settings:

Below is how we configured the SCCM package.

RPD_SCCM_02.png.jpgRPD_SCCM_03.pngRPD_SCCM_04.jpgRPD_SCCM_05.jpgRPD_SCCM_06.pngRPD_SCCM_07.jpgRPD_SCCM_08.jpgRPD_SCCM_09.jpg

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Please be aware:

The purpose of these forums is to allow community members collaborate and help each other.
Questions posted here do not follow Polycom’s SLA guidelines.
If you require assistance from Polycom technical support, please open a
web service request or call us .

The above is necessary in order to track issue internally within Polycom.

You are welcome to post more questions or configuration or logs for other community members to look at but if your issue requires a fix via Polycom you must go via the official support structure.

Please ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

This forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Polycom employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and may be answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 2 of 4
T.N
Occasional Visitor

I experience the same issue that Faisalakrami reported with 3.9. Additionally, the SCCM reccomended setup that was provided here reccomends "Install for User" which prevents us from deploying the application through a task sequence which requires "Install for system". 

Are there plans to update the installer so that it can be installed system wide versus as the logged in user?

Message 3 of 4
Regular Visitor

Hi Steffen,

I tried to followed the sequence of steps that has been provided to me as a solution to my question but still I do have problem in computer with multiple profiles as it do not executes and whenever different user login to their computer with their login names I need to manually login to their computer and instal the latest version.

I request Polycom to revert this option of installing Polycom to invidivual profiles and also restrict option of giving admin permission to local users to install Real Presence. As a genral practice in corporate evnironments all the programs requires administrative permission to be installed in local user machine, concept of installing RealPresence Desktop without admin permission created big confusion right now in our network enviroment for the end user.

I hope the issue will be taken into consideration and addresses in the newer versio of the Polycom Real Presence desktop software.

Regards,

Faisal

Message 4 of 4