Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We have an HDX 7000 connected to two monitors that we use it in classroom environment. Our content feed is Instructor (PiP) with PC feed or whiteboard feed.

The HDX 7000 only has an S-video output for recording (that's VHS generation!). The quality/resolution of any text showing during the presentation is mediocre and barely readable, as opposite to the quality that shows on the monitors (coming from the two DVI outputs) which is superb. 

So we thought to get that beautiful quality off the monitors we would have to use a DVI splitter to split one signal to the recorder and the other to the monitor -- but that never worked!

- We tried connecting DVI-composite cable into the splitter as an input - no output from that.

- We tried connecting DVI-DVI cable into the splitter as an input - no output from that. Even though it worked when we connected it directly to the recorder.

You may think the splitter isn't working, but it DOES work and we confirmed it with different devices. It just seems that whenever we get the DVI input from the HDX it doesn't do the splitting. Does Polycom restrict splitting of the DVI signal that goes to the monitors? Is it technically possible? 

The S-video output is definitely a poor option for recording off the HDX. I'd appreciate any suggestions. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Definitely Polycom doesn't restrict splitting video. Please note that HDX 7000 has DVI connector for output but it can use different formats - VGA, DVI, Component. Sounds like that your splitter doesn't understand the used output format.

Hope this note could be useful.

Mike

HP Recommended

Did you use a "analog" ie cable dvi splitter?  You may have to use a powered one so that you have digital DVI signal not analog.  That is what I had to do for one of my units.

Also what are you using for recording?  I have found a "low" cost recorder that allows vga and anaglog dvi input that I am using for recording lectures directly from a computer but tested and seemed to work well with a HDX9002. Interested in your recording solution.

HP Recommended

Responses are correct, that Polycom does nothing to restrict the output being split.

The DVI connector is DVI-I and can support both analog and digital signals.  The best option is to take the DVI-D output to a VDA that can then send it to multiple devices.

As a side note, in the 3.0.5 release notes for the HDX software release there is notice of the HDX 7000 RevD, that will begin shipping with the 3.1.2 release.  The HDX 7000 rev D does NOT include the VCR outputs, both video and audio.

HP Recommended

Thank you guys for your posts. 

It is a powered DVI splitter. We are using Sonicfoundry's MediaSite for recording. It's an expensive solution itself.

The thing is, we have tried almost all types of cables but no success in splitting the DVI signal that comes out of the HDX.

The DVI splitter only takes DVI as input and output. So we tried different cables and used convertors that would convert the end into DVI.

DVI-DVI -> Splitter -> DVI-component = No output.

DVI-HDMI-DVI -> Splitter -> DVI-HDMI  or  DVI-component or DVI-VGA  = No output

DVI-VGA-DVI -> Splitter -> DVI-HDMI  or  DVI-component or DVI-VGA = No output

The only result that worked from the HDX  through the splitter was when we connected the S-video:

S-video-DVI -> Splitter -> DVI-Video = Working.

It also worked when DVI -DVI was connected directly to the recorder, and it worked for some other devices. The splitter does get the output for any other devices but the HDX.

HP Recommended

Okay based on what you described, my guess is you are mixing digtal and analog DVI with the powered DVI splitter.  Digital DVI to Component or vga will not work, you would need a converter.  Check the input to your recorder also.  Is it analog or digital?

I would change the output of the HDX to vga and then use splitter and adapters that way.  You can convert from analog DVI to VGA and back easy enough.

HP Recommended

I connected a DVI-I from the HDX to VGA (through convertor) and connected it straight to a monitor and nothing.

Here's the picture of the cable/convertor

http://i.imgur.com/uEMM2iY.jpg

The input to the recorder is also DVI-I.

HP Recommended

If nothing on monitor you may need to check/resolution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.