Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We have several cases a day where we have users hit the power button on our HDX remotes, and shut down our end points. This results in alerts, and a grumpy monitoring team on our end (not to mention, having to have someone run and fix it every time!)

I know that, if the codec is totally shutdown, I cannot bring it back via API calls....but is there another way to get them to power up remotely? Do they support wake on LAN? Is there a way to set them to automatically boot when they are plugged in (which would let me handl it with a switchable UPS?)

Basically, I am trying to figure out a way to bring them back up remotely, without having to go to the extent of installing an ethernet IR blaster in each room.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If the problem is the users using the Remote to power off the systems, just disable the power off button.

Both the HDX and GS allow to to chose what those buttons do on Long Press...

Is that a simple fix ?

Good luck !

Gary M

HP Recommended

So, the issue is that (due to user demand) we still have the HDX remotes on the table for our GS stuff. The GS will let you choose what to do on long press...but there doesn't seem to be anything to allow us to tell it to ignore the power button from an HDX remote.

The HDX series had a "remotecontrol" command in the API that would let you ignore any button from the remote....but it doesn't seem that is the case with the GS endpoints (or I would have done that.)

Any ideas on how to get a GS 500 to ignore a power button press from an HDX remote?

HP Recommended
What version of HDX and GS are you working with?
HP Recommended

In this case, the HDX is just the remote.

The GS units are all 500's, with 4.3.0 code, with a pilot of 5.0.2 in a few places.

HP Recommended
I meant to ask also, how many of these hdx remotes are out there? They are pretty easy to take apart and remove the "switch".. I've done that before. PM me with contact information please.

Thanks,

Gary M
HP Recommended

Fifteen or so. I had considered that as well....I actually have one in place to start looking at the internals fairly soon, haha.

HP Recommended
Ok, well you seem to have a solution... If you need help modifying the remotes, pm me and I'll build a ppt that shows you how I did it

Cheers

Gary M
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.