Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I don't really know where to post this as no one appears to have problems with RealPresence desktop it seems.

I have been asked to install RealPresence as a one-off for a conference call with a university that uses RealPresence software. I have installed the software for use as a standalone product for this one-off call, so I have no licence nor a company server hosting RealPresence, just my home laptop connecting through my own ISP.  I have set up a SIP account and entered this in the settings but RealPresence keeps flagging a warning for the server connection, indicating that the program is not connecting to the Polycom server.  I have disabled H.323 so that I should only be using SIP to call, though I am not sure how relevant this is to the server connection.  I tried resetting the connection by re-enabling the SIP connection but it just keeps indicating a request timeout when attempting to connect to the server.

Can anyone offer any advice on why the request might be timing out and what I need to check/configure for this in the settings?  If anyone has any advice on setting up RealPresence trial software this might also be helpful as I found the online documentation unhelpful as to what exactly is required to get up and running, given that currently I am not an expert in VOIP software beyond using Skype...

Also if anyone has any comments on the fact that my IP address is automatically assigned by the ISP - is that likely to cause problems in contacting me or is it sufficent for me to look up my IP address before the session and email it to the hosts?  In fact, if anyone could advise regarding what details the hosts will require to establish a connection as they have been unbelieveably vague and unhelpful about installation of this software.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I figured this out myself in the end.  I realised that the server request failure was a failure to establish a link to the SIP server from the Polycom server.  After endless fiddling around with my SIP account details to try to log into the server I gave up and set up a new SIP account with another SIP provider.  This solved the problem.  The rogue SIP account was from getonsip unfortunately.  When I searched online it seems a few people have had problems setting up accounts using getonsip.  I switched to iptel.org and this seems to work.

HP Recommended

There are problems with sound on video now on this software.  I have installed on three laptop computers, let's say A, B, and C.  When I linked A to B the video was fine in both directions, sound was extremely poor at B and non-existant at A.  When I linked A to C, video was fine in both directions.  Sound was good at C, no sound at A.  When I linked B to C there was no video at C but sound was good.  There was video at B but no sound.

I have noticed that there are other comments on this forum about sound and vision.  My experiences of installing this software are one of frustration.  I have spent too much time trying to get this software to work and have had no appreciable help either from the built in error messages or the documentation available.  Installation should not be complicated by technical issues and, if it is complicated to configure, should come with installation instructions not a help sheet that does not explain in clear and precise terms what you need to do and what you will need to set up in advance (i.e. the SIP account or something similar for H.323 I assume).  If Polycom want people to buy this software they have to make it quick and easy to install and get working without spending hours trying to resolve technical issues.  As it is I would have to recommend to someone asking about this to use Skype or Webex if they want something more sophisticated.  I am sorry, I hope you will take this as constructive criticism to improve your product.  From what I could tell, I am sure RealPresence is a great product when it is all working but we have given up now and have told the hosts that initially asked us to install this that we cannot use RealPresence and we want to use Skype.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.