Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I need some basic, step by step, guidance as to how to set up Real Presence Desktop for Mac OS X.

I have downloaded the User Manual for my RPD version 3.8.  I'm not a fool, but I am new to  video conferencing and therefore unfamiliar with a lot of the manual's vernacular.

I have the Polycom software downloaded on to my Mac.  I need to achieve video conference function with only one other user or (I guess) "endpoint."  In other words, I don't need any complex funtions.

My Mac runs an OS Sierra (version 10.12.6) operating system, and I have a Logitech Pro Webcam camera (with microphones), model C930e.  I don't anticipate any compatibility problems.

I would like to complete the set up and then run a test.  I thank you very much for any help which you can provide.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Are you using the 30-day trial license, Enterprise, Individual License or Cloud service?  Who do you plan on placing/receiving video calls to/from? What is your network structure your MAC is connected to?

If you're using the 30-day trial license or have an Individual license, the RPD should be able to do direct calls in standalone mode to sites/endpoint that allow incoming calls.  There are a number of test sites availble with a simple internet search.  Polycom has sites available at 140.242.250.200 thru .204. One public site is Gary Miyakawa's VTC-Test at 71.14.2.154, .157 or .158.  These addresses may or not be active or busy.

HP Recommended

Dear Joe,

Thank you very much for your reply.  In answer to your questions:

a.) I have only a thirty day trial license of Polycom RDP v3.8 for Mac OS X.

b.) I plan on placing either a call to or receiving one from a district court in Missoula, Montana in order to video conference with it.  (I'm 2,500 miles away.)  I have to access them.  So, I guess I'll be placing the call.  I don't yet know any of their particulars except that they use Polycom.  So, at this time, let's proceed with just how I would make a test.

c.) And, my internet service provider is Comcast.  The network that appears on my Polycom software under Connection Status Information is: 10.0.0.66.

I gather that I need to configure my Polycom software to H.323 or to SIP.  I don't know what either of those mean, but with some guidance from you, I can probably muddle through.  My guess is that SIP is what you would have me use for my test.  How would I establish this on my RDP?

Also, doesn't Polycom RDP have a neutral or plain background that I can establish behind me (the subject) like wallpaper?

With very many thanks for your help - Hank 

HP Recommended

Hello Hank,

H.323 and SIP are network protocols used for the calls and what the far end would accept would depend on their network infrastructure.  They might support H.323 to SIP (or vice versa) interworking.  Here is a link to a config document for an earlier version of RPD but should be mostly relevant, http://supportdocs.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/global/documents/support/user/products/video/r..., found using a simple internet search for 'Polycom Real Presence Desktop MAC config'.  You should be able to configure RPD for standalone mode with no registration to servers. Enable H.323 or SIP (or both, but you may have to choose which to use on a per call basis).  Does RPD see your camera ok, with local video loopback?  If I remember correctly, there may have been a MAC OS setting to allow an application (RPD) access to the camera.  If you get to a point where you can initiate a call, you might try some of the IP addresses I posted previously. Depending on your local router config providing internet access, you might have to use port forwarding to route the incoming traffic (setup, audio, video connections) to your PC with RPD. There are also some tricks to configure the display name to be sent to the far end to identify you.

They might have a tech person you could talk/email with to find out how you can do a test call when ready.  They might have a test unit sitting by for this. Find out if they accept an H.323 call via IP address or SIP via URI and what they both would be.

HP Recommended

Dear Joe,

Thank you for the generosity with which you share your considerable knowledge.

You asked, "Does the RPD see your camera okay, with local video loopback?"  Because I'm not familiar witht the language of video conferencing, I'm not sure - but I think so.  I see a moving picture of myself, in real time, on my screen, in the Polycam software window as I sit at my computer facing my screen's camera.

Tomorrow, I'll find out from the court in Montana whatever I can about the network protocol(s) that I'll require in order to connect with them.  I'm already ahead with the tutleage that you have given me.

Also, do you know how I can provide a neutral or plain background behind me while I am in video conference?  Is there a way to do this via Polycam v3.8?  If not there, how else might I do it.  (My Mac runs OS Sierra 10.12.6, and my camera is a Logitech C930e.)

Lastly, I want to commend you for your help in whatever way would be most appropriate for me to make that commendation.  How would I do this?

With appreciation - Hank 

HP Recommended

If the Polycom software is showing your local video in a window, it is accessing your camera properly.  The court in Montana may also be using a service provider to host their video conference calls, which would make it easier for you to connect to since a service provider would support all forms of connectivity.  You would just need to get a 'dialing string' and protocol to use to connect. A service provider would also offer technical support services to test a connection prior to the actual video conference.  As for controlling the background behind you that the camera sees, I know there are applications that do that but I'm not sure if the Polycom RPD supports any.  Depending on your 'office' you could prop/hang a large picture,wall hanging or sheet behind you.  Not very eloquent, but might work.  I've tried large white posterboards with some success or having a bookshelf or something in the background might work.

HP Recommended

You can go an easier way and watch the little tutorial via youtube.

HP Recommended

Dear Joe,

Once again, thank you for your reply.  You've been very helpful: clear, well informed, and generous in your responses.

I'll hang a shower curtain as backdrop and pursue your suggestion of tech support from a service provider of the court's.

I don't want to close out our conversation yet because I may be coming back to you.  If there is any way for me to express my thanks to you via this forum or through Polycom's larger universe, please let me know.

With appreciation - Henry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.