Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am attempting to upgrade software via USB Stick.

Does the USB Stick have to be a certain GIG?

Do we have to format it?? And if so what format does it need?

Does this format work with both Group Series and HDX Series

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, 

The largest stick I have used is a 16 GB stick. It shouldn't be any larger than that. It should be formatted for FAT 32. The two types of files you will be using are .pup for HDX and .tar for Group Series. You want to make sure that the .pup or .tar are the only zip files on the USB stick root drive. 

HP Recommended

We were told in the past that it had to be no more than 2 gig per the FAT 32  format limitation, is this true?

HP Recommended

Sense no upgrade is over a gig you wouldn’t need a large drive. I have done it with a 16 GB drive plenty of times with no issues. Though if you wanted to limit yourself to a 2 GB drive it shouldn’t stop your from being able to do a update with that drive. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.