Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Studio X50 + Zoom Rooms + Poly EagleEye IV USB = High CPU Utilization For Us On Occasion

Studio X50 User
Occasional Advisor

Studio X50 + Zoom Rooms + Poly EagleEye IV USB = High CPU Utilization For Us On Occasion

We have Studio X50s updated to the latest firmware (3.6.0-210534) running latest version of Zoom Rooms (5.7.5/5.73) with Poly EagleEye IV USB PTZ cameras plugged-in to the USB port.

• Sometimes, we have noted messages on the Zoom Rooms displays warning us that our Poly Studio X50 was experiencing "high CPU utilization" that was degrading meeting call quality.

Yesterday, we started a Zoom meeting and the CPU utilization was so high (above 90%) the acoustic echo cancellation of the Studio X50 failed to perform and audio quality suffered terribly throughout the meeting.

We've opened a ticket with Zoom (#11994261) and I'm preparing to open a ticket with Poly.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SteffenBaierUK
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Studio X50 + Zoom Rooms + Poly EagleEye IV USB = High CPU Utilization For Us On Occasion

Hello @Studio X50 User 

Stating the latest software does not help others when finding this post in days, weeks, months, or years to come as they do not know what software mentioned was current at the time of writing.

Please ensure you share the Zoom and Poly ticket references. 

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

----------------
The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is a community setting and does not reflect my role. I am just a simple volunteer in the community like everybody else. All posts and words are my own & do not represent the views of Employer.

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 2 of 5
Studio X50 User
Occasional Advisor

Re: Studio X50 + Zoom Rooms + Poly EagleEye IV USB = High CPU Utilization For Us On Occasion

Poly support case number:

Received a response from Poly's support representative regarding "high CPU utilization" when Poly Studio X50, in Zoom Rooms mode, has Poly EagleEye IV USB cameras attached:

"We have this seen this behavior when frequent camera switching is performed and presets are applied."

"Is the message appearing after a certain change is made, for example; after switching cameras or applying a preset?"

ANSWER: Yes! That's the problem!

Message 3 of 5
Studio X50 User
Occasional Advisor

The other problem we note is that when we set the three camera position presets for the camera built into the Poly Studio X50, and then we attempt to set presets for an attached Poly EagleEye IV USB, in our Zoom Rooms, the presets for the first camera (built-in camera) no longer work! In effect, presets can only be set, currently, for ONE of the cameras!

Message 4 of 5
Studio X50 User
Occasional Advisor

Did an interesting test.

A Poly support representative suggested that loss of acoustic echo cancellation, in his opinion, was the result of Zoom and not the result of plugging in Poly EagleEye IV USB cameras.

• So, we kept the Poly EagleEye IV USB cameras plugged into the USB ports of the Poly Studio X50.
  • I then logged into my Zoom administration portal and turned off ultrasonic proximity detection, as the support representative suggested, and that did not resolve the loss of acoustic echo cancellation issue as my far site meeting participant indicated the echo was still there and "as bad as ever".
  • Here is what did resolve the loss of acoustic echo cancellation: I unplugged the Poly EagleEye IV USB camera from the USB port of the Poly Studio X50 and restarted the Poly Studio X50.
  • Rejoined the video call and the far site reported the call was free of echo and joy was achieved.
  • We consistently note that our Zoom Rooms based on just the built-in camera of the Poly Studio X50 never have issues and never lose acoustic echo cancellation.
  • We only experience problems in our Zoom Rooms where we have Poly EagleEye IV USB cameras plugged into the USB ports of the Poly Studio X50. (Loss of acoustic echo cancellation, choppy audio, and text warnings about excessively high CPU utilization on the Zoom Rooms displays.)

Message 5 of 5