Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

Im hoping someone in the community can help or point me in the right direction.

We recently purchased a QDX 6000 Video Conferencing system second hand and we'd like to configure it for ourselves, but the previous owner left their configuration/settings on the unit.

I've downloaded the administrators guide and tried to follow the procedure for restoring the unit back to factory default settings by holding the restore button in, then turning the unit on whilst still holding down the button for 5 seconds (I've tried 20 also) and then letting go.

This doesn't seem to work and only puts the unit into "Rescue Mode" which then tells me on the screen "Use the Windows upgrade Software to restore the system" and gives its current IP address.

So I registered on the Polycom site and went to the downloads section and downloaded the upgrade software for version 3.0 of the software and noted the upgrade code.

I then used this utility to upload the software to the unit successfully and then it restarts.

I thought this would have wiped the settings on the unit but the previous users configuration still remains on it.

I called Polycom who suggested trying the serial number as the admin password but this didn't work either.

Can anyone suggest to try anything different, we really would love to get this unit up and running and it would be disappointing if we'd spent the money on this unit with no way to restore it.

Many thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello boaber22,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The QDX 4.0 Guide for example makes this procedure sound slightely different:

Factory Restore

If the Polycom QDX 6000 system will not start up or develops serious problems after a software update, you can use the restore button to restart the system with its original factory software. This operation completely erases the system’s flash memory and reinstalls the original factory software.

The following items are not saved:

• Software updates
• All system settings
• Directory entries
• CDR data and logs
To reset the system to its original factory software using the restore button:
1. While the system is powered off, press and hold the restore button.
2. While holding the restore button, press the power button once.
3. Keep holding the restore button for 5 more seconds, then release it.

During the factory restore process, the system displays the Polycom startup screen on component monitors. Other types of monitors will be blank. Do not power off the system during the factory restore process. The system restarts automatically when the process is complete.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks Steffen,

This is the exact procedure Ive tried according to the admin manual and it only goes into "Rescue Mode".

Just to clarify in case I'm misunderstanding. It says hold the restore button whilst pressing the power button once.

There is only a power on/off switch on the back of this unit, so theres really just an option to "Switch" it rather than "Press" it once. Is this the right button or am I totally missing another power button on the unit?

Are there any other options available to reset this system back to factory default, like a utility to flash the software or memory to wipe it?

Best Regards

HP Recommended

See page 12-3 Admin Guide. This procedure work fine. I check it on our QDX-6000 five minutes ago

HP Recommended

Thanks OVG,

However this procedure does not work for me.

Just out of interest what happens on the screen when you successfully do the factory reset?

My power light just starts flashing red and then I get the Rescue Screen (see attached).

I have tried the windows software upgrade utility but it still retsins the previous users settings.

Best Regards

HP Recommended

My power light just starts flashing red and then I get black screen without any image. After approximately five  min codeс reboot and i see main screen where system prompts me   to choose language    (codec  connected to component monitor)

When you update system from PC there is option to reset system to default. Do you try it? 

HP Recommended

It doesnt look like theres an option to reset to factory default.

(See Attached), once I press upgrade, it then prompts me to enter the upgrade key/code and then it flashes the software but then still retains the previous users settings.

HP Recommended

Ok :-(. Try procedure at p 11-6 of admin guide (factory reset with gui and remote control)

HP Recommended

If it is anything like the HDX/VSX Upgrade (sorry, I don't have one handy to check on).  You are presented with the option to do a Typical or Custom upograde.

Uncheck Typical & check Custom.  Then in a following scree check Erase System Flash Memory.

That'll kill everything back to factory default. S# as default password.

HP Recommended

@Ovg1 wrote:

Ok :-(. Try procedure at p 11-6 of admin guide (factory reset with gui and remote control)

I have tried using this procedure but I need the admin password for this to work. It is not the default password (serial number).

Unfortunately the upgrade software doesnt give you an option to do a custom upgrade to restore to factory. I dont think theres many over avenues to explore before I declare this unit unuseable 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.