Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We recently updated our devices to use Teams, but we would like to use Device Mode as well.

I can see that the application is still installed, but there is no way for us to reach the application from the TC8.

I cannot find any documentation about this, any answers would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Support Team  and @bmgr ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

Partners like Microsoft dictate/use/adapt/select certain functionalities of our Studio X devices.

Therefore not all features and functionalities that are available in Poly OS mode can be selected to use with these partners.

For example, to my own personal knowledge:

• Miracast
  • Airplay
  • HDMI in
  • 2nd HMDI Monitor
  • Device Mode

We, Poly, cannot control what these partners allow and therefore can only recommend people to work with a certified Poly reseller and/or Poly sales engineer prior to purchasing a device.

Many people may assume all features are available and are disappointed if they are not in the mode they chose to run the Studio X in.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I haven't used the Teams app.

Have you used Device Mode previously when in other modes?

When you swipe left from the right of the TC8 display does it show an option to enable Device Mode along with the option to show the settings of the TC8 and X Series?

Recently in a different mode the option was unexpectedly greyed out for me. I found that restarting the device from the admin page, going to Diagnostics > System Reset > Restart resolved that issue.

Another thing to check in the admin GUI is to make sure that the USB ports aren't disabled and that Device Mode isn't disabled.

If the option to use Device Mode isn't there it could be that Microsoft didn't want that feature enabled in the Teams app mode or integration to use that feature wasn't up to a standard that they would sign off on as yet.

The lack of this feature would certainly be a deal breaker for me considering switching to using the Teams app as the device would be unusable for non Teams calls unless willing to reconfigure the device changing modes regularly.

HP Recommended

Hi bmgr,

Device mode does work with the Poly Provider, but it doesn't appear as an option on the TC8 when using Teams.

It also doesn't show in the settings as an option to turn on, which supports your theory about it not being enabled for Microsoft.

I've attached two pictures of the TC8 in Teams mode, it appears that the option isn't available at all on the device yet.

HP Recommended

Hello @Support Team  and @bmgr ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

Partners like Microsoft dictate/use/adapt/select certain functionalities of our Studio X devices.

Therefore not all features and functionalities that are available in Poly OS mode can be selected to use with these partners.

For example, to my own personal knowledge:

• Miracast
  • Airplay
  • HDMI in
  • 2nd HMDI Monitor
  • Device Mode

We, Poly, cannot control what these partners allow and therefore can only recommend people to work with a certified Poly reseller and/or Poly sales engineer prior to purchasing a device.

Many people may assume all features are available and are disappointed if they are not in the mode they chose to run the Studio X in.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks Steffen.

I think the main issue is that these details are not in the documentation, perhaps it's yet to be updated with the 3.11 information.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hello ,

I provided that feedback to our marketing team and they share this >here<. Please check under Review Poly Video OS Partner App Features.

I also just added this to our FAQ:

June 30, 2020 Question: Is there an overview of supported features running a Poly G7500 or Studio X50/X30 Poly Video OS Partner App mode?
Resolution: Please check >here<

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

I wonder, why is there under Application Managment the device Mode, if it's not allowed by Microsoft under Teams Mode of the Poly x50?

If we connect it per USB, we could use it as sound and video device in our laptop, but the video is only a green screen.

HP Recommended

Hello @combine 

the functionality is prevented by our partner Microsoft but the mode is still shown in Teams mode.

Any change to that would need to come from Microsoft.

Please check the enhancements coming later in the year for their Teams Android Application for collaborations bars as shown >here<

Best regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.