Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm looking for help regarding an issue with a Polycom VSX 5000 set behind a firewall: I can call outside but not receiving any call.

However, if I'm not behind a firewall and use a direct WAN IP address: no problem.

Let me present you the situation.

Site A:

Visio Polycom VSX 5000:

• WAN_IP_A (FW WAN IP)
  • LAN IP: 172.16.29.2/24 + gateway and DNS settings accordingly
  • Network > IP Network > Firewall
  • Fixed Ports: YES + default ports
  • NAT configuration: Manual
  • NAT Public (WAN) Address: FW WAN IP
  • NAT is H.323 Compatible: NO
  • Address Displayed in Global Directory: Public
  • Behind a FW SonicWALL NSA 2400

On the FW:

• Opened the TCP ports 1720, 3230-3239: UDP ports 3230-3269
  • Set the NAT rules
  • Set the Access rules

I made screenshots of the FW config made for the visio:

Site B:

Visio Polycom VSX 5000:

• WAN_IP_B
  • Not behind a firewall

Test:

• Site A calls Site B with WAN_IP_B: video and sound OK
  • Site B calls Site A with WAN_IP_A: NOK => it's ringing on Site B but no one picks up; nothing happens on Site A.

Remarks:

• I tried NAT is H.323 Compatible: YES => same result
  • If I set on the visio "NAT configuration: Auto", I automatically receive a weird WAN IP that is not even in the subnet of WAN IP we lease from our ISP... I don't know what this IP is, but I would expect the visio would detect the WAN IP of our FW or our ISP gateway.

Can anyone help me with this issue? Did I miss something on the FW configuration? Why is calling only working on 1 side?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Did you forward TCP ports 1720, 3230-3239: UDP ports 3230-3269 from external IP of your NAT to internal IP of your VSX?

HP Recommended

Yes, that's what the last rule of this screenshot is supposed to do...

If any request arrives on the WAN port (X1), translate to Polycom VSX 5000 Private (LAN IP of the visio) if it matches the service Polycom VSX 5000 Services (includes all the ports mentionned).

HP Recommended

Does VSX ringing when incoming call arrives? If no, 1720 port not forwarded to VSX ....

I can't open link - login/pass required ...

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for the screenshot, this link should work.

No, on Site A, VSX doesn't ring. Only rings on Site B but no response from the far site. It's weird because according to the config I've done on the SonicWALL, the port 1720 should be forwarded to the VSX...

HP Recommended

Since no incoming call at Site A, there is/are some error(s) in configuration of firewall - double check it.

HP Recommended

To chip in on this, you mention about ring tones at either side, I am on similar kit and similar scenario.

Site A calls Site B and auto-answer works perfectly - no problem

Site B calls Site A and both sides you can hear ringing.

Ports opened and NAT'd correct on router. Added to ACL NAT as well.

What am I missing?

HP Recommended

Does anyone know how I can edit my own post? I need to edit 1 link for the screenshot because it's not the correct one and I get Google Drive notifications to give access to some users but I can't do that...

HP Recommended

Hello CuiZinieR,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

After a certain period you can no longer edit your post. Simply attach the Screenshot instead of linking it in your next reply.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi,

Following SteffenBaierUK's instructions, I post in attachment the image that should be accessible via the "NAT Policies" hyperlink in the first post. Please, don't request the access for this image because I'm not able to make the image available on Internet: it was a mistake, I used a wrong link.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.