Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We have a Group300 endpoint setup and working flawlessly in the UK when connecting to another Group series endpoint in Taiwan. However when trying to connect to our Group300 IP address using the RealPresence Desktop app or the iOS app the call will always connect but connecting with working video and audio is intermittent. When the call connects ok I have noticed that the protocol the Group300 unit is using is H.264High, when it connects with no audio and video (100% packet loss in the stats) it is using H264 (standard).

An answer to the following questions would be appreciated and would help me troubleshoot the issue.

What determines the protocol to use? Bandwidth availability?

Is there a way to force H.264High?

Would using H.264High use different ports to standard H.264 so I can check our firewall (again).

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

What determines the protocol to use? It is what is called CAPs exchange, which happens at the beginning of the call, where both systems decide on what is common between them and how they will communicate.  Bandwidth availability?

Is there a way to force H.264High?  This would not solve the issue.  What you can force is lower algorithms, see the Integrator's Reference Guide for 'basicmode' that can put the codec into a diagnostics mode.  It is a good way to test things.

Would using H.264High use different ports to standard H.264 so I can check our firewall (again). No, it is an algorithm (High Profile) that does not affect the ports being used.

If you have access to your network when it happens check your capacity on the links, it is possible one of the legs of the path is being chocked. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the prompt reply. It does seem to be worse during the working day, so when more pepople are sharing the internet access. If I test before most people have got to their desks at 8:30am it's more likely to connect with video and audio. We are only 50 users and we have a 100/100 Mb leased line so it would be surprising either end is being choked.

If this is the case then and I don't have control over the protocol it uses then the question changes to why do I get 100% packet loss when using Standard H.264?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

I had talked to another person about this.  They said that 100% indicates it is being blocked.

They are wondering if your routers/firewalls are blocking H.264 traffic but not H.264 HiP. If they are doing packet inspection they are different and your router/firewall may be set up to block H.264 but could possibly not even know about H.264 HiP.

It is all pointing to the network.  That is where we would recommend looking.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.