Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I was hoping somebody could tell me where the Packet Loss would take place that is shown on the statistics screen during a video conference? We are completing a video conference between two locations over an MPLS network.  I have visibitly into every device on both sides of the MPLS network.  We are seeing packet loss during a call.  I checked every device interface for packet loss during the call, except for the MPLS network.  I open a ticket with the MPLS SP, and they are not seeing packet loss either. I have attached a screenshot which shows 17% packet loss. I see issues with all four statistics dropping packets, but ususally a higher percentage on video tx or rx than on audio.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Someone needs to check the queues in the MPLS connections.  If the QOS is not set correctly, the queues could be overdriven and traffic throttled causing packet loss.

HP Recommended

I looked at MPLS connections and the queue size is 0. I have not been able to find the cause of packet loss on any of my network equipment. Are you suggesting on the SP side?

Thanks,

Alex

HP Recommended

Yes, the MPLS Service Provider needs to be involved as the QOS settings may be the culprit  and they may be dropping the packets.

HP Recommended

Videoconferencing uses UDP packets so there is no retransmission of packets.  There is a jitter buffer in a videoconferencing endpoint that buffers and attempts to put them in order as they arrive before handing them off to the processors.  If a packet arrives out of order and out of the jitter buffer time it will be considered 'lost' since it was not there in time.  QoS generally helps jitter. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.