Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I realize this is a "wide-open" question but I am new to Video Teleconferencing and am looking for recommendations/ suggestions.  We have a VSX7000 that connects via TCP/IP.  The connection process appears to work fine.  It is after we are into the session(s) that we experience disconnects.  The time until disconnects varies. We use a Cisco ASA 5510.  Since our connections work fine I am thinking that the settings on the firewall and vsx7000 are correct.  Is there some "tweaking" I need to look into?  I have tried to connect to the "test sites" recommended on polycom web site but can only connect to the "austin lobby" - what ever that is!  Are there any "reliable" test sites to connect to?  Thanks for any feedback

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi there...

you could try to call VTC Test 

71.14.2.157 and / or 71.14.2.158 

HP Recommended

Thanks Uwe.  I will try those sites.

I stated that the Cisco ASA 5510 and VSX7000 settings would appear to be correct however, there may be some setting(s) that  cause the disconnects.  Any settings I should re-look? 

Thanks for any feedback

Gerald

HP Recommended

Hi Gerald.  There is nothing in the VSX setup that would hang up a call without warning.

"Maximum time in call" in Admin>General>System Settings>Call Settings is defaulted to 480 mins but even then it offers you the opportunity to continue the call as that time approaches.

Take a closer look at your ASA, perhaps there is a timeout on TCP 1720 or you're getting bouts of large packet loss that make the call untenable.

I'd be interested to hear what the cause was.  There are plenty of ASA users out there & they always point the finger at the end point.

Pete

HP Recommended

Thanks Pete.

I checked the "TimeOut" settings on ASA 5510.  The 1710 port was unchecked = no timeout.  I would be most interested in knowing what the "recommended" settings on the ASA 5510 for VTC use would be!  Also, best practice for checking connection quality to see if there are packet losses, etc.    Any help is most aprreciated!!!

Gerald

HP Recommended

Whilst we do have some sort of ASA (IT Guys stuff), we use Polycom VBPs for our VC firewalling.  They are a bit smarter than your average Firewall & fully H.323 & H.460 aware.  If you have or have plans to install a reasonable number of H.323 end points (soft & hard) in your environment I'd encourage you to look at VBP.

HP Recommended

Pete - Thanks for the info.  Our VTC needs are very modest.  Point to point connection.  Typically between Alabama - Korea, Alabama-Detroit, or Alabama - NYC.  I am not familiar with VBP.  I wonder if a "dedicated" feed (cable) for our system would be reasonable.  Basically taking the vsx7000 off the LAN and using the cable connection directly. 

Gerald

HP Recommended

You could do that, it depends on your attitude to security.  There is little to gain from hacking it, your media is AES encrypted (isn't it).

If you do, either turn the system off when not in use, or turn autoanswer off & find something light & non transparent to drape over the camera to stop anyone browsing into your room.

Set a decent Admin password & possibly a meeting pasword too.

HP Recommended

What are the ranges of time when you experiecing the disconnect? 2 minutes - 30 minutes? 15 min - 3 hours? Always right aroung a specfic time period?

HP Recommended

Disconnects happen at 10 minute intervals (not exactly but pretty close!).  Using the system in evening (1800 - 2000 approx).

Thanks,

Gerald

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.