Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello, bootROM 4.3.1 SIP 3.3.2.

I am wondering why they PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS did not work for me in the 000000000000.cfg master config file?

<APPLICATION APP_FILE_PATH="sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES="PHONE_MAC_ADDRESSreg.cfg, server.cfg, reg-basic.cfg"

The phones would give a "CONFIG ERROR" message. I figured I could do this in 000000000000.cfg and then just create the macaddressreg.cfg file per phone. I ended up doing it the old way with a macaddress.cfg anf macaddressreg.cfg file per phone.

Earlier today I had tried to use PHONE_PART_NUMBER and it also failed, but I was able to tell that it did not get changed to the phone's part number, just stayed "PHONE_PART_NUMBER".

Am I thinking the correct way to use these new macros (substitution strings) settings?

thanks

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Official documentation is wrong. Try [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]reg.cfg. I wasted hours trying to figure that out.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello Johnj_01201,

please check the UCS 3.3.0 Admin Guide => here <= on Page C - 24:

Quote:

"You can also add variables to the master configuration file that are replaced when the phone reboots. The variables include PHONE_MODEL, PHONE_PART_NUMBER, and PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS."

Please ensure you always use a Provisioning Method like FTP that allows to append to the Log Files.

The -app.log and -boot.log hold Vital Information.

Plenty of details around in this Community.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

right, the Admin guide is where I learned about them. I am wondering why they failed to work.

HP Recommended

John,

without logs we wont know.

Please be aware that other members of the community are welcome to reply as well but the community is not a replacement for official support and you may want to consider contacting your Polycom Reseller if the units are still within warranty or work with Polycom Support via PPI (Pay Per Incident).

Best regards 

Steffen Baier 

Polycom Global Services 

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Official documentation is wrong. Try [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]reg.cfg. I wasted hours trying to figure that out.

HP Recommended

Hello Simon-Tran,

I work in Tier 2 Support and this is the 1st I have heard of this.

A blank statement like this will also cause confusion if it cannot be backed up with the exact software version you claim you have discovered this.

You are always more than welcome to raise issues like this, if you can prove them, via your Reseller or via Polycom Support in order to verify this and get this fixed.

Uncountable of our Partners are using this method in the field.

The example given in the Admin Guide (checked in UCS 3.3.0) is actually [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]- and we do not recommend to use [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-weg.cfg or [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]-phone.cfg as these are used by the Phone.

The substitution was added in BootROM 3.2.1/SIP 2.0.1 and includes PHONE_MODEL, PHONE_PART_NUMBER, MACADRESS.

If you search for above via your favorite search engine you will find plenty of examples.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Ah! That explains it! I will try it this way and post back if it works or not. The documentation implies that you should use this:
CONFIG_FILES="PHONE_MAC_ADDRESSreg.cfg"

but it is supposed to be:

CONFIG_FILES="[PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]reg.cfg"

Normally, "[something here]" implies you enter your own data. The documentation plainly shows these without the brackets and it should be updated to include the brackets if they are required.

Again, I will try it and post back if it works or not. I was not able to find a single result for two of these substition strings in Google.

thanks!

John

HP Recommended

Hello John,

using " [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS] polycom "  as Search Word without the " already shows the substitution string being used SipXecs Forum as the 1st result.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

OK thanks, but I am using Google and had to type this to get any related results: "[PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS] polycom SipXecs Forum"

The "phone.property" link documents 2 of the substituation strings correctly on this page:

http://sites.google.com/site/sipxecstipsandtricks/polycom-phones

Polycom should update their Adminstratotor guide to include the brackets.

thanks

John

HP Recommended

Hello John,

I am unsure what SIP /  UCS Version of the Guide you are looking at but for example the UCS 3.3.0 Admin Guide => here <= shows plenty of examples at Page A - 5.

It clearly shows the [ ] but I will mention this to the Product Managers for the next new and upcoming Admin Guide.

The Configuration Files section hold plenty of examples and detailed explanations on how to use substitutions and other tricks in order to enable provisioning in different variations based on Phone Models etc. in order to cater for Display limitations and so on.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.