Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a system using older (but perfectly working) SoundPoint 300SIP phones.

Upon startup one of the phones shows "configuration file error 0x4020".

Now, I tried to reset the phone to factory defaults. I can see phone is happily talking to the provisioning server. I do have another phone that starts up and registers just fine, so tried to replace the config file of the problematic phone with one from a working phone -- same problem.

Log file shows following:

1207222014|app1 |3|00| Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.
1207222014|app1 |3|00| Gateway address is 192.168.1.1.
1207222014|app1 |3|00| DNS server is 192.168.1.1.
1207222014|app1 |3|00|Bootline: eim(0,0)bootHost:flash e=192.168.1.12:ffffff00:15180:4b1d7f9e h=192.168.1.23 g=192.168.1.1 u=XXXX pw=XXXXX f=0x40 tn
1207222014|app1 |3|00|Bootline: =CircaIP
1207222055|app1 |4|00|Could not load time from 0.0.0.0(0.0.0.0).
1207222126|cfg |4|00|Failed to load bootrom.ld. Check filename & FTP parameters.
1207222152|cfg |3|00|Image sip.ld has not changed.
1207222219|app1 |4|00|Loaded application sip.ld successfully, errors 0x10

On working phone:

0101000025|app1 |3|00| Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.
0101000025|app1 |3|00| Gateway address is 192.168.1.1.
0101000025|app1 |3|00| DNS server is 192.168.1.1.
0101000025|app1 |3|00|Bootline: eim(0,0)bootHost:flash e=192.168.1.10:ffffff00:15180:3a4fc886 h=192.168.1.23 g=192.168.1.1 u=XXXX pw=XXXXX f=0x40 tn
0101000025|app1 |3|00|Bootline: =CircaIP
0101000035|cfg |3|00|Updated bootROM configuration 0004f20140d4.cfg.
0101000036|cfg |3|00|Updated file 101-rudolf.cfg.
0101000048|cfg |3|00|Updated file 101-rudolf-sip-basic.cfg.
0101000111|app1 |4|00|Loaded application sip.ld succesfully, errors 0x0.

I did double-check the file name for the offending phone -- it is matching the MAC.

I also tried to delete the config file completely. I then do get expected errors that file can not be found. So, error is in the config file itself, but one phone is happy with it, second one is not. Both phones connect to FTP server with same credentials, so it is not permission issue.

Config file is as follow (sorry, this forum tries to reformat it and will not let me attach CFG file)

<!-- Default Master SIP Configuration File -->
<!-- Edit and rename this file to <Ethernet-address>.cfg for each phone. -->
<!-- $RCSfile: 000000000000.cfg,v $  $Revision: 1.15 $  -->
 <APPLICATION APP_FILE_PATH="sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES="102-marina.cfg, 102-marina-sip-basic.cfg" MISC_FILES="" LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="logs" OVERRIDES_DIRECTORY="" CONTACTS_DIRECTORY="" CALL_LISTS_DIRECTORY="calls"/>

Any idea what i should check next?
Thanks,
Rudolf
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Rudolf 

considering End of support for these devices was 2011 so end of sale is usually 3 or 5 years before I assume we can rule out a more descriptive error message.

I am glad you got this working and hope you get many years of use out of this.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @Rudolf ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

It would have been great if you could define what model the other phone that is working is as this may make the answer easier.

It would also help others if you could state the firmware being used.

A couple of things:

• How Do I Sign In and Post? 
  • Mar 07, 2013 Question: What does the message "Config file error. Error is <Hex #>"  / 0x4020 mean?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

• Oct 7, 2011 Question: What is the relevance of the sip.cfg and phone1.cfg files?

• Oct 7, 2011 Question: What is the relevance of the 000000000000.cfg or <mac>.cfg?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying.

Both phones are same SoundPoint 300SIP.

Same fw version too.

Rudolf

HP Recommended

Hello @Rudolf ,

we still do not know what software version these ancient legacy phones are running.

Your update does not provide us with any details and/or logs to look at.

The quoted FAQ should enable you to troubleshoot your setup.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Hi,

It should be latest f/w available for this phone, but I will get the exact version tomorrow.

I am in Australia, so there is a bit of time difference with UK.

Is there any other debug I can set to see what is going on?

At the moment, due to this error, I can not boot the phone properly. I know there are some more logging options available through web interface. Will try to boot it without provisioning tomorrow to see if I can get to web interface and set all possible logging to debug.

I did read the answers in the link you provided. What gets me is the fact I have two identical phones and, when I use exact same configuration, one boots, one does not. Quite weird. Anyway, will dig deeper tomorrow and will report any new findings.

Rudolf

Rudolf

HP Recommended

FW on both phones is 2.1.3.0028, which, I believe, is the latest available

BootROM versions are different, though.

Working phone runs older version 2.5.0

Problematic phone runs 2.6.1.0003

I tried to upgrade offending phone to the latest available BootRom (3.2.3.002) and problem is same

Rudolf

HP Recommended

Hello @Rudolf ,

without any logs, we are blind and cannot attempt and try and help you.

I would suggest CURL and COPY (if they exist on such old hardware) at event 3.

Oct 17, 2011 Question: How can change Logging Levels or use Syslog?

Resolution: Please check => here<=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Well, I think I sorted it out.

Running packet capture, I can see that the way phone uses FTP on older BootRom is quite different on a newer BootRom.

I was able to see that FTP transfer of application fails (sip.ld). Error as I see it in FTP stream is "426. Failure to write network packet".

Temporarily turning off firewall on FTP server fixed the problem. I kept digging in and realised that newer f/w uses quite different port range to connect to FTP server. Reconfiguring server to force fixed port range for passive FTP transfers (and allowing this range through firewall) fixed the problem.

Interestingly that accessing configuration file and uploading the log worked fine, so I initially ruled out FTP server problems.

Also, having more descriptive errors on the phone would be helpful too.

Anyway, it is starting OK now.

Rudolf

HP Recommended

Hi @Rudolf 

considering End of support for these devices was 2011 so end of sale is usually 3 or 5 years before I assume we can rule out a more descriptive error message.

I am glad you got this working and hope you get many years of use out of this.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.