Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Firmware 4.1.6 - Tested and confirmed with VVX 400, 410, 500 (with and w/o expansion module, which has no effect on this issue)
Asterisk hosted server on the backend.

When a VVX phone running 4.1.6 firmware (regardless of configuration file used) receives an incoming call, it has a 6 second delay when putting a call on hold! Since pressing Transfer also puts a call on hold while attemping to move the call, this results in a serious issue when trying to transfer a call.

1. Case in point - Incoming call is answered, the user is trying to press Transfer + Blind + ext number (or BLF button on phone or module) or even simply putting a call on hold by pressing the hold button and nothing happens during this 6 second delay. This is easily reproduced in a test environment with two phones if the pbx is configured with hold music. If the VVX phone is running 4.1.6, call it from another phone (internal or external call, doesn't matter). While listening on the calling phone, press HOLD or Transfer on the VVX receiving the call. You won't hear the hold music for 6 seconds! This is the delay (bug!). This makes using a VVX with 4.1.6 firmware as an attendant console next to impossible. You are able to press Transfer + Blind, but then nothing after that will work until 6 seconds has passed.

2. This behavior DOES NOT occur with firmware 5.0.1. (but of course, 4.1.6 is needed for the expansion module!) Again, easily reproducable in the lab. Same test, but this time the receiving VVX has firmware 5.0.1. As soon as you press Transfer, you'll hear the hold music on the calling phone...every single time.

To recap, a VVX with 4.1.6 in order to use the expansion module in an attendant setting is almost useless. The 6 second delay before the transfer sequence can be initiated is frustrating for the user and results in loss of calls, productivity, etc.

I also produced a short video demonstrating the issue so it's easier to understand.

http://1drv.ms/1l34XC8

As always recommended, I'll be opening a support ticket with my reseller, but I wanted to post here as well so everyone can benefit.

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hello Louis,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

I just did a quick test in my lab with a VVX500 running UCS 4.1.6 (No Expansion Module) and then repeated it with an Expansion Module attached.

I am monitoring 3 BLF contacts on the phone but each time I tried to either press HOLD or Transfer the far end immediately plays MoH.

I can also see in Wireshark or the Phone Logs that the phone sends an INVITE with the sendonly attribute to the Server.

It is either something in your configuration or something else and as already confirmed by yourself we would require you to raise this via your Polycom reseller.

Please provide the following:

• A wireshark Trace taken from booting up the Phone replicating the issue
  • All the phone logs
  • A backup of your current configuration

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Steffen.  I have ruled out the configuration as the issue, as I can not change a thing but upgrade to 5.0.1 and reboot the phone and this behavior does not occur.  I probably made it more confusing by mentioning the expansion module.  This behavior isn't related to the module.  You can do the same test w/o it and the result is the same.  You also don't even need to be monitoring a BLF.  Just factory default a phone with 4.1.6 and call it, press hold or transfer, and there is a 6 second delay.  Using the gui to upgrade to 5.0.1, then reboot the phone, the delay is gone.  So the phone is using the exact same configuration and everything is exactly the same except the firmware.  I don't have the ability to do a wireshark, but will update this post with my log and backup of the phone in a few minutes.

Thanks!

Louis

HP Recommended

Hello Louis,,

I had only one line and 3 BLF's and looking at your Video you seems to have more lines.

The community's VoIP => FAQ <= contains this post here:

Jan 19, 2012 Question: How to troubleshoot Polycom VoIP related Issues?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Setting SIP to Debug should be efficient enough for the initial escalation to the support team. Just ensure you set the right level, then reboot the phone so we see a complete registration.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I did a reset on the VVX 500.  Only 1 line registered, no expansion module.  Same behavior when calling this phone.  6 second delay when using hold or transfer key.  4.1.6 firmware.  I have attached the logs files and a backup.

I will now flash the firmware to 5.0.1 and run same test and grab the logs and post.

Thanks again for looking at this!  It's been a serious issue for all of my clients using the VVX phones with 4.1.6 and I'm looking forward to getting this resolved.

Louis

HP Recommended

Here are the files after flashing to 5.0.1  Made 3 calls, no delay when pressing hold or transfer.  No other changes other than the firmware.  To me, this indicates this issue is related to firmware 4.1.6 and has nothing to do with my configuration, or my provider's server (Asterisk).  If you think there is a setting I can change while using 4.1.6, I would really apprecaite it!

Thanks,

Louis

HP Recommended

Hello Louis,

based on the settings in your backup there are some non factory values in there. 

The log is most likely exported from the Web Interface and in debug mode the cache available for this is not sufficient.

I would suggest you retest this just with a line registration and no extra configuration and then get the logs from the provisioning server and work with the reseller to get this to the Support Team most likely in North America.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks.  But how do you explain this issue when no settings were changed from 4.1.6 to 5.0.1?  Firmware flash and rebooted and the issue goes away!  I'l be opening a ticket today, but there is an issue with this.  It explains why everyone who is trying to use an expansion module to transfer calls is having trouble.

Thanks,

Louis

HP Recommended

Hello Louis,

most likely one of the parameters you been using successful in UCS 5.0.1 has an averse effect in UCS 4.1.6 (which was released after 5.0.1)

Without verifying this in the lab with our support team (I am based in EMEA) we cannot confirm or advise you.

Out of interest, what are you using the XMPP functionality for as this is only for BroadSoft server to my knowledge?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I was wondering about that.  My provider is the one who write the config templates, so it likely got created there.  You might be onto something.  Perhaps I'l see if I can figure out how to use a 5.0.1 template.  I'm not sure what XMPP is, so I'll look into that as well.  Thanks for listening, I feel like I have gained a lot of ground on this issue!

Louis

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.