Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Today, I foolishly decided to update my VVX600 from 5.3.x to the latest 5.4 release via the web interface. This immediately sent the phone into a boot loop where it would not get past "Starting application." If I interrupt that startup, I get some errors about not being able to find wallpaper, and a "reboot initiated" message unhelpfully pops up.

I then attempted, via the boot menu, to direct my phone to firmware located on my usual TFTP server. Nothing. I then switched over to HTTP as TFTP can be finnicky with these phones. No luck there either. Are there any logs or other information I can get about the failed upgrade or why the phone is no longer capable of receiving new firmware?

I really didn't think these phones could be bricked, but I think I've finally managed to pull it off.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As should be apparent by now, I suffer roughly annual bouts of stupidity regarding upgrading VVX600 series phones. This note is more for future me than anything else when I happen on the fancy Upgrade button in the UI and click it, thus bricking my phones - usually one at a time. Either by luck or slightly better firmware (well, not that much better, apparently) that doesn't break backward-compatability, I even managed to keep my settings this time.

Here goes:

1. Look at UI, see cool firmware version and click Upgrade (5.7.1.2205 -> 5.9.3.2857)
  2. Phone reboots...and reboots...and reboots
  3. Panic
  4. Download firmware zip and serve it via TFTP
  5. Stop boot process, enter password, and select provisioning server
  6. Select TFTP and enter IP address
  7. Remove Polycom upgrade URL (keeping this seemed to fail any effort to update)
  8. Reboot and wait through 2 full reboot cycles
  9. Things should be stable until I stupidly hit upgrade again...I really need to find a way to disable that button

To the reply my last post received, I certainly don't mean to deprive anyone of a good answer. If you'd like to play blame-the-router with Polycom support, you can certainly file a ticket--assuming you're entitled to it. Or just don't trust the 600 with firmware upgrades.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

After much fumbling around, it turns out that the 5.4.1.14510 release is unsuitable for my VVX600 as currently configured. But putting 5.3.0.12074 on the HTTP server isn't enough. I first had to go into the boot menu and "Reset settings" to get the phone to stop bootlooping. Not a great fix, and I can't upgrade any further, but 5.3.x at least has the phone working again.

HP Recommended

Hello augustf,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 17, 2011 Question: How can change Logging Levels or use Syslog?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above, if the FTP server you hopefully using does not show any logs, should be sufficient to get some data.

The next step is to contact your Polycom reseller so they can open a Ticket with our support team.

If you purchased via a discounter please post your MAC address so I can lookup who you should work with.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

I had considered seeking out support as you suggest. But I only have 3 of these VVX600's, not some sort of large corporate deployment on a support contract. When one buys phones via Amazon or other non-affiliated resellers, ongoing support (or even support with getting the phoness going) isn't a thing that's available in the reseller-operated support model Polycom uses. Which is why I've headed here to the community forums. Certainly, having to clear all phone settings during an upgrade is annoying, but not unexpected.

I certainly would like to know why the latest firmware doesn't work on my phone, so hopefully some posts by others here are forthcoming. Other than that, I'll wait for a quiet weekend when the next series of firmware comes out, hopefully to better results.

HP Recommended

Hello augustf,

it should not be an issue if you purchase 3 or three thousand phones.

Unfortunately purchasing from the cheapest source has its limitations but as already outlined if you provide us with the MAC addresses of these phones we can lookup who sold these phones via your discounter.

That will enable you to open a support ticket via them and enable us, Polycom, to look at your issue.

Not doing it will deprive many others from finding a solutions so it should be in your best interest to follow this up.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

August, you are not the only one.

Just last week, I was able to update no less than ten phones to UCS 5.4.1 via the web interface of each individual phone with no issues.  Yesterday, I upgraded a single VVX 600 from UCS 5.1.3 to UCS 5.4.1 via the web interface and it is stuck in the boot loop you mentioned.  I upgraded another VVX 600 this morning from UCS 5.1.3 to UCS 5.4.1 and it is also stuck in the boot loop.

Something is going on with the Polycom hosted server that you can download firmware upgrades from the web interface for.  Like I said, I upgraded no less than 10 phones last week via the web interface from UCS 5.1.3 to UCS 5.4.1 and it worked perfectly.  I noticed that the firmware updates were unavaialble via the web interface for the majority of the day on Tuesday, February 23rd.  Once they became available again, something has gone wrong.

HP Recommended

Crazily, I come back to this post via Google, having forgotten all about it. Basically, I (again) foolishly hit upgrade on the web interface of my VVX 600. Again, the Polycom firmware proved to be total junk, and the phone began to bootloop without explanation. Finding my old post again, I tried to reset to defaults and revert to old firmware via TFTP. Unfortunately,I'd forgotten that you need to clear settings first, pull the new firmware via TFTP, and reboot a few times. I have no idea why the web interface update utility never works.

HP Recommended

Hello @augustf,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

The community would be full of such posts if this would be true.

Something in your network is causing this and as you ,to my personal knowledge, never opened a support ticket as advised in the past you have depraved yourself and possible others of Polycom fixing this.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

As should be apparent by now, I suffer roughly annual bouts of stupidity regarding upgrading VVX600 series phones. This note is more for future me than anything else when I happen on the fancy Upgrade button in the UI and click it, thus bricking my phones - usually one at a time. Either by luck or slightly better firmware (well, not that much better, apparently) that doesn't break backward-compatability, I even managed to keep my settings this time.

Here goes:

1. Look at UI, see cool firmware version and click Upgrade (5.7.1.2205 -> 5.9.3.2857)
  2. Phone reboots...and reboots...and reboots
  3. Panic
  4. Download firmware zip and serve it via TFTP
  5. Stop boot process, enter password, and select provisioning server
  6. Select TFTP and enter IP address
  7. Remove Polycom upgrade URL (keeping this seemed to fail any effort to update)
  8. Reboot and wait through 2 full reboot cycles
  9. Things should be stable until I stupidly hit upgrade again...I really need to find a way to disable that button

To the reply my last post received, I certainly don't mean to deprive anyone of a good answer. If you'd like to play blame-the-router with Polycom support, you can certainly file a ticket--assuming you're entitled to it. Or just don't trust the 600 with firmware upgrades.

HP Recommended

Hello @augustf ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

Again, if this would be a widespread issue, then in my day job role as a T3 Support Engineer and in my spare time role as Poly community Admin, our teams would be overwhelmed with cases and posts.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.