Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I need to format the file system to get it to pull a new configuration from the Digium AA50 server; but the phone never gets booted to allow me to use the Menu key.

The process gets through:

the network initialization

starting to provision

updating intial configuration

checking application

loading application

running app=sip.ld

processing configruation (rev 3.1.1.0137)

config file error - error is 0x20

then starts all over again

I have other phones on the network that work fine.  I can add a phone to this network conenction and it works fine.

But this one needs to have the file system formatted, as it is the only way I have found to force a reload from the server.

But I cannot get to that point because it won't boot.

ready to chuck it out the window as a waste of my time.

The "factory reset" key combination does no good, it just goes through the same endless cycling (after I set the server and network configurations).

REALLY REALLY NEED TO RUN THE FORMAT FILE SYSTEM as a key combination.  Being only able to use the non-accessible "menu" process is no good.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks,

chuck

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello Chuck,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

There is no combination to my knowledge to format the Filesystem when the Phone reboots.

You should have on startup (countdown) the option to either press the setup softkey or press the finger combination and get prompted the password to reset the Factory settings.

Above will reset all network settings.

Most likely your Phone receives via DHCP a Boot Server and is unable to contact this.

Set the DHCP Option on the Phone to manual and provide a Provisioning Server so the Phone can download it's Software.

Above and many other things are described in the FAQ.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

First, thank you for taking the time to reply.

However, using the reset to factory and having it connect to the server does not get the corrupted (I think) file replaced.

Forcing a format, should force the file to be downloaded.

I did read the FAQ's and several different forums, googled various terms and (obviously) NONE of them show how to force a file system format from a non-booting phone.  Every peice of advice seemed to think that there is never a need to start from bare metal and a boot loader.  

If you can boot the phone, why do you need to format the file system?

If the phone won't boot because there is a corrupt file that is not being replaced, format and restart seems to be the best solution.

HP Recommended

Hello Chuck,

please follow up my advise and provision the phone.

it will then download the correct files and if needed format the file system.

There is no way to format the file system in the basic BootROM mode that you can still access.

Download the latest supported SIP Software and BootROM and follow the FAQ advise.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I think we are having a failure to communicate moment.

I believe it is the fact that the phone is failing to provision that is preventing the phone from booting.

I believe the scenario is going like this:

Phone gets it's network and provisioning server info and requests the necessary configuration files.

The server says here are the files that you need.

The phone says "hey, I've already got that file(s), so don't send it."

However, the existing file on the phone is corrupt.

If there was some way to wipe the phone, it would force a download of the file that is causing the issue.

Trust me, if I could get the phone to provision, I wouldn't be here and I wouldn't have spent so long on this.

I know that with previous phones that have to be switched from one provisioning server to another; I have HAD to format the file system to force the config downloads, otherwise the phone holds onto what it previously had.  That is my reason for my above scenario.

If it is truly the situation that it is NOT possible to format the file system except from a completely working phone; fine.  I can accept that and toss the phone in the dumpster and move onto another phone.  It just seems to be a really weird situation.  I mean even HAL in 2001: could be reset to a blank slate.

I guess we can just mark this as closed - not solvable.

I really do appreciate your attempts.

thanks,

chuck

HP Recommended

Chuck,

I have been working with these phones for over 4 years and I never had to chuck a phone away.

You cannot format the filesystem in this mode as the phone never finishes loading its application due a corrupt file on your provisioning server or missing file.

Please follow my instructions:

1. setup a local FTP Server
  2. Download the latest SIP Software & BootROM for the phones from => here <= and unzip the Software & BootROM
  3. Point the phone to the IP Address of the FTP Server and enter User  & Password for the User that has been created to host the software downloaded above.

Once the phone connects to the server it will be able to download the latest Software and Bootrom and the matching sip.cfg and phone1.cfg.

If this still fails it will upload its log files and these will tell you exactly what is failing if it would still be an issue.

The Phone will work after this procedure.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

As soon as my schedule permits, I will try your solution.  Since the phones ride a completely separate wire network, building a server and adding that to the closed network just to add an ftp service is something that needs a pretty strong reason for completion.  

Since there is already a device on this network handling this process for every other phone in the firm, it is fair more economical to grab another phone.  As a "exercise left for the student to solve" type thing, I may try going through this process on my home network.  What the heck, I can always use another phone at home.

thank you for the suggestions.

chuck

HP Recommended

I agree that this procedure is rediculous.

The phone won't fully boot beause of a corrupt config file. But to delete the config file the phone has to fully boot. Does this make sense to anyone???

I have a customer experiencing this problem, but they are not tech savy enough to set up a FTP server, etc. It's easier for they to buy a new phone. OHHHH, now it all makes sense. Way to go Polycom!

HP Recommended
Hello r_valentiono

The SoundPoint IP 501 is being discontinued and will no longer be available for purchase after 08/20/2009. Support for the product will be available until 08/20/2014. The SoundPoint 501 has been replaced by the SoundPoint IP 450 and 550.

As you can see by the above we are discussing a phone in a post back in 2012 that was end of sale back in 2009.

I am unsure what you are expecting but please be aware that the FAQ covers all angles.

In addition the community search can be consulted.

If you struggle your POLYCOM reseller who sold you the phones more than 6 years ago can open a Pay per Incident ticket for you as the phones are most likely more than 6 years out of warranty.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

For what it's worth, we had the same problem on Polycom SoundPoint IP 335's that we received yesterday. Our VoIP provider had a bad .cfg file that the phones picked up, and once in the phones, they experienced the same reboot loop.

We were fortunate enough to work around it by having our VoIP provider make the phones grab a completely different config file, then revert back to the proper config file once they fixed it. I have no idea how this works on the backend, though, but they were able to break the "hey, I've already got that file(s), so don't send it" step. Does the phone just look for filenames? Or does it do a checksum somehow? The answers to these questions lie beyond my area of expertise.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.