Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Asterisk 1.8 / Multicast

Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

Asterisk 1.8 / Multicast

Hi,

Does anybody were able to use the new Polycom 4.0 multicast paging features with Asterisk using the new channel Multicastrtp ?

Thx

David 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Asterisk 1.8 / Multicast

Hello David,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I assume you are referring to the PTT Functionality. This works out of the Box between Polycom Phones running UCS 4.0.x or later.

I am not aware that a Asterisk specific MulticastRTP channel is currently compatible but would advise you to follow this up with Digium directly.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I'm back on my Multicast project, and I have a question really specific to Polycom. Not even using Asterisk, I'm unable to multicast an RTP stream using mast (linux) to the Polycom phone. Is this something I should be able to do ?

Message 3 of 6
Highlighted

Hello David,

I am still unsure what you are attempting to do with the Phone.

Are you just sending RTP traffic at the phone without setting up a call?

The Feature Descriptions & Technical Notifications section contains an explanation on how our phones utilize the PTT functionality => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

Hi Steffen,

I'm trying to just send RTP Traffic using a multicast address. Then the phone should receive this traffic and playback the stream without any SIP traffic. This features is supported by many endpoints to do paging.

I have already red the admin guide. I'm able to use the PTT function no problem. I'm trying to send a RTP Stream but not using a Polycom. Is it possible or I absolutly need to multicast from a Polycom ?

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted

Hello David,

to make the answer short to my knowledge we do not support to just receive an RTP stream without SIP signaling.

We do support to receive a PTT like multicast stream as described in the link in my last reply as long as the correct Polycom supported header etc. is used.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

----------------

Message 6 of 6