Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We have a 6 phone IP 450 system that is on a VoIP provided by cBeyond/Aretta.  The lines coming into the office are from ATT. 

No one can recall how the auto-attendant was all set up, but the start/stop time of our "after hours" auto-attendant message (Sorry, you have reached us after normal business hours...) is messed up - it comes on way before we close.  What I know is that I can access the auto-attendant message by dialing *295, and then it gives me the option of listening to it or re-recording it.  There is nothing, however, as far as controlling its timing. 

cBeyond and ATT have both denied that they have anything to do with an auto-attendant message/system, so I am thinking that it might be an IP 450 feature.  Unfortunately, I can find nothing in the IP 450 User Guide that says anything about an auto-attendant feature. 

Can anyone tell me whether the IP 450 system has an auto-attendant feature, and if so, how I can access the settings for it to change them?  TIA!! 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Not a Polycom employee here, but guaranteed the Polycom phones have nothing to do with the AA (auto attendant).

What or who is ultimately responsible for the AA would depend on exactly what kinds of services you are getting from the different entities you named.  Saying that you have service from both Cbeyond and AT&T is confusing...AT&T is mostly long-distance and IP data, though in some areas of the country they also have taken on ILEC status and provide local dial-tone.  Cbeyond's services would overlap with AT&T's, though, so it doesn't make sense for you to have telephone services from both Cbeyond and AT&T.  It would typically be one or the other.  Perhaps Cbeyond is your dial-tone provider (CLEC) and AT&T provides the local loop (ILEC)?  In that case, AT&T really doesn't factor into the equation.  In fact, I would be shocked if you got a recurring bill from both companies.  If AT&T is the local loop provider, Cbeyond would be their direct customer, not you, so you would never have a reason to interact with AT&T directly.  Cbeyond, not you, would get charged for access to AT&T's network, and then Cbeyond would build that cost into whatever they are billing you.  If something broke down in AT&T land, Cbeyond would have to be the one to contact them for support; you would open up a ticket with Cbeyond, who would in turn open up a ticket with AT&T.

Whether or not your telephone provider is responsible for making changes to the AA would depend on whether they were providing you with "hosted" PBX service (often actually called "hosted PBX" or "cloud PBX" in the IP/VoIP world, and "Centrex" in traditional telecom) or not.  A traditional PBX (private/small office telephone switch) is a piece of equipment that is housed at your facility.  In hosted PBX, the telephone company houses the PBX logic at their facility instead of yours so that you don't have to own, operate, and maintain that equipment yourself.  The AA lives on the PBX, wherever that PBX happens to be located, so if you have hosted PBX service, your telephone company should know how to help you change the night-mode timing, re-record messages, etc.  If you do NOT have hosted PBX, then you *own* your PBX and the responsibility for programming it sits with *you*.  You can always hire a consultant who knows your particular PBX to make changes to its programming, but unless you bought that PBX from your phone company and they installed it for you and offered to maintain it for you, the phone company really is not going to be able to help you...they will have literally no idea what brand and model of PBX you own, what options you bought with it,  how it is currently configured, the passwords to get into it to make changes, and they may not even have anyone on staff who has ever worked with your particular model of PBX.  There are many, many different makes and models, and they all work differently.

So before anyone can really answer your question for you, I'm afraid you are going to have to do more homework.  You will need to find out exactly which organizations have been involved with setting up and providing you with your phone service and exactly what role each one plays.  My guess is that you have a PBX of unknown make on-site at your office (installed in the past by who-knows), that Cbeyond provides you with your dial-tone, and that AT&T merely provides the local loop to bring Cbeyond service to your doorstep, but I have no way of knowing any of that for sure based on the information you have provided.  Regardless of the answers, though, the AA lives in the PBX, not in the phones themselves, so that is where you need to look.  If Cbeyond disclaims responsibility for your AA, then it is highly likely you do not have hosted PBX service with them, so you need to find out what make and model of PBX you have and who installed it for you.

Best of luck,

-- Nathan

HP Recommended

Wow - thanks for the detailed reply.  ATT does provide us "service" in that whenever we have an issue that is determined to be a "hardware" issue (read associated with the wires coming into the office), ATT is responsible.  50% of the time when we have an issue and we call cBeyond, they call ATT to check wiring once cBeyond proves that the issue is not "theirs". 

Since you have provided the info I sought (and then some) - which is that there is no AA feature integral to the Polycom IP450 system, I can stop going down the telephone hardware path and focus now on cBeyond.  ATT has already denied having anything to do with an AA, and given that they are only providing the wires, I believe them.  

I'll return to pursuing this with cBeyond/Aretta.  Thanks much!! 

Mike

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.