Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Good Afternoon everyone. There appears to be a bug in the Polycom VVX phones (411 in this case) where BLF entries don't always show up.

Scenario: configure phones with both BLA and BLF entries. When phones are first booted, sometimes they will properly show all of the BLF entries but sometimes they won't. When they don't, no SUBSCRIBE messages are sent by the phone to the server. Sometimes the BLF entries will disappear after the phone sits for a few minutes too.
Firmware is latest: 6.3.1.11465.  SIP registration is UDPonly, so this does not appear to be related to a similar known issue caused by a TCP timeout.

Looks like 5.9.6.2996 and 6.1.2.1167 have the same issue. Only seems to happen with a fair amount of BLA/BLF entries - 4 BLA plus 6 BLF in this case.  I think the problem may have started showing up with 4 BLA and 3-4 BLF entries.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Regards,

- Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Update: Last night, it occurred to me what might be happening. We have more than one server for geographic redundancy so I had programmed the backup server info the 2nd SIP server slot on the phone and had set it to register but the account info hadn't been synchronized to the backup server yet. So while the phone was registering to the primary server successfully, when the phone contacted the backup server the registration failed. This appears to be what was causing the phone to behave erratically. Once I told it not to register to the backup server, the phone started consistently displaying the BLF entries and they stayed put. WooHoo!

So while I still don't think that the phone should inconsistently blank out all of the BLF entries when it can't register with the 2nd server, it's not a total show-stopper. I'm guessing that Polycom will probably (hopefully) want to fix or modify this behavior.

Also, if there is a way to have the phone not simultaneously register to both servers but only fail-over when it can't reach the first one, that would likely keep this from happening.

I wanted to post the resolution here regardless in case it helps someone else and thank Steffen for his responses.

Regards,

- Phil

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @MrPhil ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

I am not aware of such and to check this it would need to come into our support organization.

In order to raise a support ticket, you need to work with your Poly reseller as they may need to do this for you.

End Customers are usually unable to open a ticket directly with Poly support. Available End User Poly services offerings are detailed here

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter providing your MAC address or your Poly devices serial will enable us to look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Poly device from.

If the unit is no longer within the warranty please be prepared to Pay Per Incident / PPI. This is all outlined in detail here

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

I appreciate your response.  I wanted to let you know about this because it is pretty clearly a firmware bug.  Capturing the traffic shows that the phone does not consistently send SIP SUBSCRIBE messages for BLF, even from a cold boot but the BLA/SLA registrations are consistently performed.

We're not the end-user, we're a small ITSP and these phones are for a medical practice office who wanted SLA/BLF functionality so the experience would be similar to their old key system.  Since we like your phones (a lot), perhaps we should look into your partner program.  This configuration is different from our usual fare though, so I hadn't seen this issue before.  I'll try still older firmware and see if I can figure out where this issue may have been introduced.

If it will help, the MAC address of one of the phones this behavior is being observed on is as follows:

64:16:7F:C7:92:C2

Thanks and best regards,

- Phil

HP Recommended

Hello @MrPhil ,

SYNNEX CANADA sold this unit back on 6/2/2020 so it should still be within warranty. They can open a case for you.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended
Update: Last night, it occurred to me what might be happening. We have more than one server for geographic redundancy so I had programmed the backup server info the 2nd SIP server slot on the phone and had set it to register but the account info hadn't been synchronized to the backup server yet. So while the phone was registering to the primary server successfully, when the phone contacted the backup server the registration failed. This appears to be what was causing the phone to behave erratically. Once I told it not to register to the backup server, the phone started consistently displaying the BLF entries and they stayed put. WooHoo!

So while I still don't think that the phone should inconsistently blank out all of the BLF entries when it can't register with the 2nd server, it's not a total show-stopper. I'm guessing that Polycom will probably (hopefully) want to fix or modify this behavior.

Also, if there is a way to have the phone not simultaneously register to both servers but only fail-over when it can't reach the first one, that would likely keep this from happening.

I wanted to post the resolution here regardless in case it helps someone else and thank Steffen for his responses.

Regards,

- Phil
HP Recommended

Hello @MrPhil ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

Whilst I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting this issue for your organization, the scenario used is used by uncountable numbers of our service providers and their customers worldwide.

Therefore something as simple as a miss configuration could be the root cause.

We do discuss a simple method here:

Oct 30, 2017 QuestionCan I setup my Poly phone to register to one Server and failover to another?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above leads for example to the Engineering Advisory 66546 aka the Configuring Optional Re-Registration on Failover Behavior => here <=

If you are still convinced this is a bug on our end you have two options:

• Rollback to a previously working firmware
    or
  • Get this into support as already explained so Poly gets a chance to fix this

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Thanks for the info and links.  I don't think those fail-over options appear in the web interface but it looks like we can make the necessary adjustments to the config file to get the phones to do what we want.

While I appreciate what you're saying, I must say that it's almost never a good thing when a device acts inconsistently or erratically, especially when it's initally powered on.  Admittedly though, these phones represent a small fraction of the customers we provide service to - most have various flavors of Cisco phones and so we need to become more familiar with the VVX phones and any special "features" they may have, Just about every phone I've encountered seems to have its quirks.

We initially applied as a consulting partner but were told that we would be better served by becoming a reseller so once that has all been set up I might go ahead and report the odd behavior as a bug in case anyone cares.  As previously mentioned, earlier versions of the firmware exhibit the same behavior to an end-user looking at the phone's display - intermittently blanking out all of the BLF entries but the phone actually subscribes to each BLF entry with the earlier firmware, even though it doesn't display them.

My apologies if I seem picky here - I actually wrote telecom-related device firmware in a past life and when a device does a different thing each time with the same input, that's always suspect in my humble opinion and often foretells future problems as yet undiscovered.  This sounds like a race condition.

Anyway, I consider this matter resolved.  Thank you again for your assistance!

Best regards,

- Phil

HP Recommended

Hello @MrPhil 

maybe check the FAQ:

Oct 20, 2017 Question:Why can I not change every single configuration parameter via the Phone UI or the Web Interface?

Resolution: Only the most common settings can be changed via the Phone UI or the Web Interface. Additional configuration parameters either require a provisioning server as shown => here <= or simply import a configuration file (or unzip FAQ attached example files) and import these via the Web Interface as shown => here <=

In regards to Bugs or inconsistently or erratically, you may simply assume a setting in the web interface is responsible for a certain function when in reality it is not. We recently passed the 30.000.000 IP phone milestone so other users and customers are happy with our software and products.

Therefore I would suggest in the future to consult the Admin Guide and/or any additional engineering documents when moving from a different hardware vendor.

Setting A with one Vendor does not always do exactly the same as it does with Vendor B.

In regards to something resolved, this community is not an official Poly Support infrastructure and only volunteers like myself and other enthusiasts may answer in their own time. Therefore simply mark an answer as solved shows other community users that an answer has been provided. This also shows up in the searches.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Has this issue every been resolved.  I am experiencing the same issue trying to use Polycom VVX phones with a cloud based PBX (voip.ms).  The BLF status will work fine on the phone for days at a time and then suddenly with no changes to any network configuration (router, etc.).  The BLF lights will stop updating with any status.  Then a couple of days later, and perhaps accelerated by rebooting phones, the BLF status indicators will just start working again.  This may continue for a week or even two, but then the cycle will repeat and for a couple of days, they will stop working.  Very annoying issue and one that should get solved.

-BTech

HP Recommended

Hello @BTech ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

Both the communities Must Read First or Read 1st and if available the FAQ reference the basic minimum information a new or follow up post should contain.

This ensures the questions having to be asked are limited and any new or follow up post contains the right amount of details to ensure any voluntary participant within the community does not spend additional time chasing basic information.

Unfortunately, your post fell a bit short of the above-explained requirements and we kindly ask you, therefore, to ensure to read these sections and ensure a reply (not Edit!) provides as much detail as possible

Please ensure you familiarise yourself with the FAQs listed in my signature for your convenience.

As suggested in the original poster please get this into our official support infrastructure. 

Posting here will not result in a support ticket being opened.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.