Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am having issues with the initial BLF message not coming through for 650 sidecars.  I have seen this on AT&T connections with Netopia routers and also through MPLS networks.

Does anyone know what the issue is?

We are using Broadsoft.  Polycom 650 with SIP 3.2.6.

Is it MTU settings?

Fragmentation settings?

Something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Just a note.  We have one site with a Comcast and AT&T connection.  If we use the Comcast connection, BLF works great.  If we use the AT&T connection, the names never show-up.  But if we switvh to the AT&T after the names are loaded, it works fine.

HP Recommended

Hello Krackd,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

To Troubleshoot this issue is outside the scope of the community and should actually be reported via your Polycom Reseller.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services 

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I have done so.  They don't have an answer.

HP Recommended

Hello Krackd,

your Polycom Reseller would contact Polycom Support in this case and get you to gather the relevant Data.

If they have not done so contact Polycom Support directly but you may have to pay a PPI (pay per incident) fee in order to receive support as an end customer.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

So, I am not allowed to ask the community, but I can pay for support.  Nice.  I have purchased over 1000 phones from Polycom.  Nice service!

HP Recommended

Hello Krackd,

you can ask in the community but it is not a replacement for the Polycom Support Model.

I replied you "may" have to pay and if you are using these phones in a professional capacity that should not be to much to ask for.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

I should not have to pay to get information on a feature on the phone and what it requires to operate.  I'll figure it out on my own.  

Instead of allowing others who have had this issue to respond you immediately get in the way and try to steer me away.  I am going to contact my partner account rep and tell him what I encountered when asking the community a question.

HP Recommended

Hello Krackd,

please may I remind you that when entering this VoIP Community the very first Post requires you to read the Read First.

In there it states as follows:

As the title suggests, the Community Forums are open to all, and driven by the Polycom community: customers, resellers, distributors, and other industry activists from all over the world. The Community Forums are NOT an official support channel, and answers or suggestions provided by other community members may not always resolve your issue. If you need official support for your Polycom product or service, please contact Polycom directly through the official support channels, or contact your Certified Polycom Partner for assistance.

I have not closed this post and neither prevented any other community member from answering or adding to your original post regarding a Network Issue.

You clearly identified that this is an issue caused by the connection that you are using and troubleshooting BLF or any other SIP related issues require an in depth knowledge of the environment and relevant data like traces and configuration files and logs to troubleshoot.

This is outside the scope of this community and in order for your Investment to receive the attention of detail regarding the support you require I simply suggested to contact Polycom Support directly.

The official route , as highlighted in above quoted part of the Read First, is to contact your Polycom Reseller.

You stated that they were unable to help, which they should, and as a response I suggested to contact our Support Team directly but made you aware that a PPI Fee "may" occur.

This fee, depending on where you are based around the Globe, is around $200 (please check with the agent before for the current amount as I am based in EMEA) and should give you full access to our Tier 2 Team.

I hope this clarifies my response and you can still go back to your reseller and demand that they raise the Ticket with our Support team as they should do so.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

I am having issues with the initial BLF message not coming through for 650 sidecars.  I have seen this on AT&T connections with Netopia routers and also through MPLS networks.

Does anyone know what the issue is?

We are using Broadsoft.  Polycom 650 with SIP 3.2.6.

Is it MTU settings?

Fragmentation settings?

Something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

This post is some time after the reported issue, still a post here may help future trouble shooters. 

MTU- maximum transmission unit.Could in fact cause an issue if the packet is coming from say a broadsoft platform in a large packet like 1900 MTU and your local router BLOCKS fragmanted packets. You would need a packet capture to prove this. if true, next step would be to log into your router an allow fragmented packets.

BLF's are sent in large packets and sometimes need retransmission.

I suggest you check with your provider, is the packet sent TCP or UDP if sent in UPD as you probably know this would not be best choice for BLF's " No Acknowledgment "  "There is no guarantee that the messages or packets sent would reach at all."   TCP is the right choice, error correction at the interface level  " There is absolute guarantee that the data transferred remains intact and arrives in the same order in which it was sent " "Acknowledgement segments "  Now this does cause more network overhead traffic, but not enough to cause any concern.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.