Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I have a very strange "Bad image checksum" error on 1 Polycom-501 only.

BootROM 4.1.4

SIPload 3.1.8

(both are latest supported versions for this phone to my knowledge).

I've tried older versions of siploads and BootROM, combined and splitted for this phone, but nothing helps - it gets "Bad image checksum error". I'd suppose something is wrong the sipload  or bootrom, but both are our standard versions accepted by 100s of phones (including several phones on the same subnet).

Here is extract from boot-log for this phone:

0518233631|so |3|00|Platform: Model=SoundPoint IP 501, Assembly=2345-11500-040 Rev=D
0518233631|so |3|00|Platform: Board=2345-11500-040 A
0518233631|so |3|00|Platform: MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX, IP=Resolving, Subnet Mask=Resolving
0518233631|so |3|00|Platform: BootBlock=2.5.0 (11500_040) 06-Nov-04 08:08
0518233631|so |3|00|Application, main: Label=BOOT, Version=4.1.4.0122 28-Sep-09 21:32
0518233631|so |3|00|Application, main: P/N=3150-11069-414
0518233631|app1 |4|00|Initial log entry.

0518233648|cfg |3|00|Image 2345-11500-040.bootrom.ld has not changed
0518233655|cfg |3|00|New load header information:
0518233655|cfg |3|00|Code length: 0x00259B69
0518233655|cfg |3|00|Header check Sum: 0x20261D79
0518233655|cfg |3|00|Code check Sum: 0x13F9C1E9
0518233655|cfg |3|00|Options: 0x00000003
0518233655|cfg |4|00|Image option 3 cannot be checked
0518233655|cfg |3|00|Recognized application
0518233656|cfg |3|00|Using compatible image 0

0518233723|copy |3|00|Download of 'XXX/2345-11500-040.318.sip.ld' succeeded on attempt 1 (addr 1 of 1)
0518233725|cfg |4|00|Bad image checksum, expected=0x13F9C1ED got=0x13F9C1E9
0518233725|cfg |5|00|Error updating application
0518233725|cfg |3|00|Downloaded application image was errored
0518233725|app1 |4|00|Could not load time from 0.0.0.0(0.0.0.0).
0518233725|app1 |4|00|Application 2345-11500-040.318.sip.ld is not compatible with the phone.
0518233728|cfg |3|00|Application image not found in file system
0518233730|app1 |6|00|Error application is not present.
0518233730|app1 |6|00|Uploading boot log, time is MON MAY 18 23:37:30 2015

The phone has been reset to defaults and we have formatted file system (that's why application is not present in the file system).

In usual situation I'd suppose it's wrong sipload version (due to incorrect config file). But I'm pretty sure they are correct, so my only guess it's something (hardware?) with that particular phone that rejects known good software.

I tried to search for "bad image checksum" but wasn't very successful.

Would anyone else have any suggestions about this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello VoIPonaught,

I am unsure why you did remove the MAC address but this phone could potentially be 12 years old so maybe its time to let got of this one individual phone who's done the job for many years before investing a lot of time and effort in finding the phone is simply broken.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello VoIPonaught,

I am unsure why you did remove the MAC address but this phone could potentially be 12 years old so maybe its time to let got of this one individual phone who's done the job for many years before investing a lot of time and effort in finding the phone is simply broken.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have previously seen this with a couple of 501s. It didn't matter which version of the bootrom/image I tried loading into the device (and tried lots), it would return "Bad image checksum, expected=0xXXXXXXXX got=0xYYYYYYYY".

These were files that I too had used successfully on hundreds of phones without issues.

My suspicion is that the flash memory in that phone has gone bad, and there's some stuck bits, which is causing the downloaded file to become corrupt, and the checksum then fails.

As Steffen said, it's probably not worth the time trying to fix this. I suspect that a fix would require replacing the flash chip on the board.

HP Recommended

Thank you for replies!

I did suspect it's something with hardware preventing some kind of CRC error checking.

I saw this 1st time in many years with known good software, so I got confused.

I agree it's time to replace the phone there as 501s are pretty old, though there are plenty in the field.

Is it a general rule for all 501s now?

HP Recommended

Hello VoIPonaught,

As you did remove the MAC address I am not able to lookup any history of the device but based on my experience with all phones this is the first I ever heard of it.

Providing details from the label on the back like HW Revision or any dates may enable others to check against their stock or at least leave some kind of detail here for the future.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Let's deem this phone having corrupted flash and consider ticket resolved.

Thanks, Steffen!

HP Recommended

Hello VoIPonaught,

this is not a support case and no ticket involved. I do still not even have the MAC of the phone to check its history internally.

Only a Polycom reseller can raise a ticket for End Customers.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Stephen, thank you for following up.

MAC=0004f212871c

Not sure if it helps, as it' been in use at least for last 5 years.

The isssue with checksum is pretty strange (i see it first time and looks like you too).

If there's nothing else we can do here, should I mark the thread as resolved?

HP Recommended

Hello Voiponaught,

It was sold back in 15/12/2006 and never had any ticket raised on it.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.